Sun Webcast Today & Tomorrow: Replacing Windows with Linux Desktop,Java, OpenOffice, Mozilla

P. Flavin

Today & tomorrow Sun Webcasts announce new
---------------- projects that include
Java and 3d Java apps in packages designed
to replace Microsoft packages with packages
based on Linux and Solaris bundleded with
Java, Open Office or Star Office, and Mozilla.

| Opening Address & Welcome
| ------------------------
| by Sun CEO Scott McNealy
|
| Sun's Software Strategy
| -- Sun EVP Jonathan Schwartz
|
| September 16 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. (PDT)
|
| ------------------------------------------
|
| Slashing Cost & Complexity from the
| Desktop to the Data Center
|
| -- Sun EVP Mark Tolliver
|
| 10:00 - 10:30 a.m. (PDT)
| LIVE Chat with Sun CEO Scott McNealy
|
| September 17 9:00 - 9:45 a.m. (PDT)

http://www.sun.com/bignews/

3D Desktop Demo ( java.net OpengGL bindings )
---------------

SUN DECLARES LINUX DESKTOP READY FOR PRIMETIME

|-------------------------------------------
| Sun's Java technology on the desktop is also
| being enhanced for Project Mad Hatter providing
| a native GNOME look and feel for all Java
| applications.
|
| The innovative 3D desktop demo that wowed the crowd
| during the keynote was built using Java technology
| on Linux with Java for Open GL bindings which
| Sun recently open sourced at java.net.
|
| Java technology is pervasive on the desktop as it
| now runs on 550 million personal computers via
| distribution arrangements with leading PC
| manufacturers.

http://www.sun.com/2003-0805/feature/index.html

Java & Java3d is used for Games ...

Java Games
http://javagaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi
http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/games_with_java3d.html
http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/java_games.html

| Yahoo! Pool is a set of fun and realistic
| multiplayer online billiard games. The most popular
| games, 8-ball and 9-ball, allow players to break,
| choose shots, sink or scratch - just like
| the real thing.
|
| Players of Java technology based Yahoo! Pool games
| can enter game rooms based on skill level, and
| join in official Yahoo! Pool league tournaments.

http://java.com/en/explore/desktop/yahoo_pool.jsp

Human Animation with Java3d with VRML using Sun's Loader
http://www.JavaGaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=3D
http://www.JavaGaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=3D;action=display;num=1060641747

I've been using Linux Red Hat 7.2 and it is
better and chearper than Windows though it does
need extra features ... which Sun is now adding.

-- Paul, Java Developer & Web Animator