survey: what editor do you use to hack ruby?

Daniel Berger

Thomas said:
As a follow-up on the other people mentioning (g)vim: I think it should
be pointed out that you can embed a ruby interpreter in (g)vim and then
program the editor with ruby or run ruby code right from within vim.

Directions please. :)

Dan

Alexandru Popescu

#: by stevetuckner's words the mind was *winged* :#
On Windows I use a non-free editor called Source Insight. I defined my
own language definition file and will send it to anyone that is
interested. What it offers is a nice symbol database, a overview of each
file on the left side of each source window that shows just the symbol
definitions in that file (and those can be incrementally searched to get
to a function or class definition quickly), and a way to parse output
after running a process so that they are linked up to the source line
where the error occured or a trace was put out. I also use it for all my
C work as well and it works well for that.

Steve Tuckner

It would be just great :).

:alex |.::the_mindstorm::.|

stevetuckner

--------------070507050802030600040809

Daniel said:
Directions please. :)

Dan
The latest versions of GVIM have ruby built in. To see if it is there,
just do:

1. type :
2. type ruby puts "hello"
3. you should see hello printed out
4. then do help ruby to see all the stuff you can do.

Steve Tuckner

--------------070507050802030600040809--

gregarican

Lowell said:
I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to ownder:
what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

Lowell

I personally use FreeRIDE or SciTE when in Windows. On FreeBSD and
Linux I just use a standard text editor like vi or whatever's
available. Question. Have any of y'all used WideStudio? This is a
rather large package available on SourceForge that installs Ruby,
Python, and Perl within its environment. It looks rather promising but
I haven't had time to delve into it...

Logan Capaldo

I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to ownder:
what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?
=20
Lowell
=20
=20

irb mostly. When I need it to persist, I usually use vim in one
terminal and irb in another. Nothing beats REPL.

Martin DeMello

tony summerfelt said:
I see that boxer Is listed. the only thing that makes it 'ruby-aware'
is the syntax file (it happens to be your truly that submitted that
file :)

komodo is missing. it was designed for perl/tcl/python, but it will
syntax highlight and fold ruby code.

It's a wiki :)

martin

Randy Kramer

Not on point to this particular reply, but I haven't noticed anyone mention
the best editor--nedit. ;-)

Randy Kramer

Thomas

As a follow-up on the other people mentioning (g)vim: I think it
Directions please. :)

Type :version<cr> or to get some information about the activated
features. If there is a +ruby somewhere you're fine. (Or type :echo
has('ruby')<cr>.) If the feature list includes +ruby/dyn the ruby
interpreter is loaded on demand, which requires a suitable ruby library
to be installed. On windows, this currently means that msvcrt-ruby18.dll
has to be around some place in the path. Then check out the help on ruby
support: :help ruby<cr>

HTH,
Thomas.

Tom Nakamura

Vile (Vi-like Emacs), Vim if Vile not avaliable.
Anyone know any full featured (ruby) IDE's with a decent vi mode? I'm
incapable of writing code otherwise :-|
Tom

Pit Capitain

Thomas said:
Type :version<cr> or to get some information about the activated
features. If there is a +ruby somewhere you're fine. (Or type :echo
has('ruby')<cr>.) If the feature list includes +ruby/dyn the ruby
interpreter is loaded on demand, which requires a suitable ruby library
to be installed. On windows, this currently means that msvcrt-ruby18.dll
has to be around some place in the path. Then check out the help on ruby
support: :help ruby<cr>

Just yesterday I realized that this actually works on my Windows 2000
machine, and even without the newest versions: Vim 6.3b and the Windows
Ruby Installer 1.8.1-13.

Regards,
Pit

Francois GORET

I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to ownder:
what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

Lowell

Emacs before, but I use KDevelop for one month now.

Cheers,

Francois

Martin Ankerl

I use SciTE in Linux + Windows, with some heavy configuration
(attached). Especially the default fonts in Linux now look much better,
and some other stuff like additional hotkeys (Alt+Left, Alt+Right to
switch to the left/right tab, ...)

I have also created some abbreviations, e.g. when one types 'test' and
then Ctrl+B, scite automatically adds code for a test class and moves
the cursor to the correct place to fill in the rest of the test class.

Both files should be copied to home directory. Restart scite, and happy
coding :)

--
martinus

tabsize=8
indent.size=8
use.tabs=1

split.vertical=0
tabbar.visible=1
statusbar.visible=1

# line number settings for new scite version
line.margin.width=1+
line.margin.visible=1
# line number settings for older scite version
line.numbers=1

# two.phase.draw=1
are.you.sure.on.reload=1
reload.preserves.undo=1
check.if.already.open=1
save.session=1
ensure.consistent.line.ends=1
buffers=100
cache.layout=3
fold.symbols=2
export.html.wysiwyg=0
export.html.tabs=1
buffered.draw=1

# font
font.base=font:!Bitstream Vera Sans,size:11
font.small=font:!Bitstream Vera Sans,size:10
font.comment=font:!Bitstream Vera Serif,size:11
font.code.comment.box=$(font.comment)
font.code.comment.line=$(font.comment)
font.code.comment.doc=$(font.comment)
font.text=font:!Bitstream Vera Serif,size:11
font.text.comment=font:!Bitstream Vera Sans,size:11
font.embedded.base=font:!Bitstream Vera Sans,size:11
font.embedded.comment=font:!Bitstream Vera Sans,size:11
font.monospace=font:!Bitstream Vera Sans Mono,size:11
font.vbs=font:!Bitstream Vera Serif,size:11
font.js=$(font.comment)

wrap=1
wrap.visual.flags=1
wrap.visual.startindent=1
time.commands=1
tabbar.multiline=1

# autocompletion
#autocompleteword.automatic=1
autocomplete.choose.single=0
autocomplete.ruby.fillups=( .=?!+-[

# shortcuts
user.shortcuts=\
Ctrl+Shift+V|IDM_PASTEANDDOWN|\
Ctrl+PageUp|IDM_PREVFILE|\
Ctrl+PageDown|IDM_NEXTFILE|\
Ctrl+Space|IDM_COMPLETEWORD|\
Alt+Left|IDM_PREVFILE|\
Alt+Right|IDM_NEXTFILE|

# ruby stuff
c=class |\n\t\nend\n
d=def |\n\t\nend\n
ini=def initialize\n\t|\nend
f=if __FILE__ == $0\n\t|\nend
test=require 'test/unit'\n\nclass Test| < Test::Unit::TestCase\n def setup\n end\n\n def test\n end\nend

Bertram Scharpf

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 14. Jun 2005, 23:42:00 +0900 schrieb Thomas Kirchner:
Vim or Gvim, depending on the situation. Once you know the basics,
nothing else will compare. (except maybe you emacs heretics...)

+1

I refused it for a long time but now I couldn't do anything
without.

Bertram

Luke Galea

It's supposed to be able to debug, etc.. But I've never managed to get that
working..

But as an editor I'm happy with it.

Has anyone gotten .rhtml syntax highlighting going on Eclipse RDT??

Sweet. I didn't know such a thing existed. Is it mature?

Lowell

David said:
2005/6/14 said:
I've been having a tough time getting emacs set up properly with ruby
which led me to look for a different IDE to use. Which led me to ownder:
what editors/IDEs do most ruby users use?

I use Eclipse [1] with the Ruby Development Tools-plugin [2].

Cheers,
David

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/
[2] http://rubyeclipse.sourceforge.net/

Jim Freeze

* Christian Neukirchen said:
That's nothing!

I use klh10 to emulate a PDP10 to run ITS, and then hack my Ruby with
TECO... that is, if I don't print it out, use Tippex, write over it
and then scan and OCR it again.

You guys are all wimps. ;)
Real programmers don't use editors (or printers or scanners).
The command line is all that you need:

ruby -e '
<your_1000_line_ruby_app_here>
'

Nikolai Weibull

Jim said:
The command line is all that you need:

ruby -e '
<your_1000_line_ruby_app_here>
'

I prefer just writing

% ruby
<my 1000 line ruby app here>
^D
â‹®
%

It fits well with my new software-design philosophy: “write once, run onceâ€,
nikolai