target and frame on html5

fulio pen

Before html5, these two tags, target and frame, were very convenient
for use. I understand that with html5 they are now deprecated, and
javascript has to be used to do the same work, which makes code
writing more skill-requiring. For instance, the following page of mine
is in frame, and it work well, but I need to change the code to
Javascript.

http://www.pinyinology.com/yinJie/frame.html

I also have quite a few pages in frame on my web site. Javascript is
hard to learn for me. Could anyone tell me which part of javascript I
have to learn to keep the function of frame on html5? Thanks in
advance.

fulio pen

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

fulio said:
Before html5, these two tags, target and frame, were very convenient for
use. I understand that with html5 they are now deprecated, and
javascript has to be used to do the same work, which makes code writing
more skill-requiring. For instance, the following page of mine is in
frame, and it work well, but I need to change the code to Javascript.

http://www.pinyinology.com/yinJie/frame.html

I also have quite a few pages in frame on my web site. Javascript is
hard to learn for me. Could anyone tell me which part of javascript I
have to learn to keep the function of frame on html5? Thanks in
advance.

Skip the framesets/frames and use CSS instead. That page of yours could
use three <div> elements with "overflow" scrollbars and float the two
that are side-by-side.

JavaScript not needed.

Jukka K. Korpela

Before html5, these two tags, target and frame, were very convenient
for use.

HTML5 is still just a set of drafts, and even if it becomes approved, it
won't stop browsers from supporting what they do now. On the contrary,
it (in its present state) _requires_ browsers to support frames.
I understand that with html5 they are now deprecated,

HTML5 has no deprecation concept. It says that authors must not use the
frame element, but it also says that browsers must support it. And
there's no negative word about the target attribute (it's attribute not
tag).

There's no real reason to stop using frames if they work for you. You
could even confirm to HTML5 if you change the use of frames to the use
of the inline frame element, iframe. But it's hardly worth the effort.
Could anyone tell me which part of javascript I
have to learn to keep the function of frame on html5?

I don't think it would be an improvement to make your pages depend on
JavaScript if they work fine without it now.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Beauregard said:
Skip the framesets/frames and use CSS instead. That page of yours could
use three <div> elements with "overflow" scrollbars and float the two
that are side-by-side.

JavaScript not needed.

I was out for a few hours, but to give you a sample of what I mean, look
at this page:

http://tekrider.net/usenet/noframe.html

Note that all I did was create one fresh single page using <div> and no
frames at all, then copy and paste your content into the appropriate top,
left, and right ones. I removed some of your CSS (that which conflicted)
and added floats and widths. I did not test for errors, as there are
many, many things I would do differently if it was really my page. (First
thing I would do would be to get rid of all the pixel-precision you are
attempting.) This is just to allow you to see the concept.

Your use of HTML5 is pointless, since most of your coding is last-decade
styling and layout.

fulio pen

I was out for a few hours, but to give you a sample of what I mean, look
at this page:

http://tekrider.net/usenet/noframe.html

Note that all I did was create one fresh single page using <div> and no
frames at all, then copy and paste your content into the appropriate top,
left, and right ones. I removed some of your CSS (that which conflicted)
and added floats and widths. I did not test for errors, as there are
many, many things I would do differently if it was really my page. (First
thing I would do would be to get rid of all the pixel-precision you are
attempting.) This is just to allow you to see the concept.

Your use of HTML5 is pointless, since most of your coding is last-decade
styling and layout.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I've copied and saved the code
and will study it carefully, and will come back when having more
questions. Thanks again.

fulio pen