TCP monitor tool like TCPmon

Novice

Hey all, I have downloaded axis and have tried using tcpmon.

However, I have a firewall on my network that prevents me from making
direct connections to external sites. Thus we make use of a proxy
server that allows us to access web sites. I tried entering the
hostname of the proxy server in the "HTTP Proxy Support" section under
hostname and port number - but it doesn't succeed.

Everything works fine on internal addresses whether I specify the
proxy server in the "HTTP Proxy Support" section or not (since we
don't need the proxy server to connect to internal addresses).

I've even tried stopping the process on the port, then clicking the
proxy checkbox, and then starting the process again and it still
doesn't work.

Could anyone recommend another free tool I could use as an
intermidiary between my proxy server and my local machine's web
connections? I need the tool to log all data sent back and forth
between the browser and my organization's proxy server.

Thanks,
Novice

John K

When launching tcpmon pass the following properties to the JVM:
-DproxyHost=XX -DproxyPort=YY
replace XX with the proxy server name and replace YY with the proxy
port number.

Hope this helps,
-John K

Steve Horsley

Novice said:
Hey all, I have downloaded axis and have tried using tcpmon.

Could anyone recommend another free tool I could use as an
intermidiary between my proxy server and my local machine's web
connections? I need the tool to log all data sent back and forth
between the browser and my organization's proxy server.

Thanks,
Novice

I recommend ethereal. It's free, multiplatform, and very good.

http://www.ethereal.com/

Steve

6

6tc1

I tried your suggestion and it came back with:
java -cp d:\programs\axis\lib\axisjava\axis.jar
org.apache.axis.utils.tcpmon -DproxyHost=CAPROXY -DproxyPort=80
Usage: tcpmon [listenPort targetHost targetPort]

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Novice

Sudsy

I tried your suggestion and it came back with:
java -cp d:\programs\axis\lib\axisjava\axis.jar
org.apache.axis.utils.tcpmon -DproxyHost=CAPROXY -DproxyPort=80
Usage: tcpmon [listenPort targetHost targetPort]

Any other suggestions?

Sure! Try 'java -help' for starters. You should get something like this:

Usage: java [-options] class [args...]
(to execute a class)
or java [-options] -jar jarfile [args...]
(to execute a jar file)

where options include:
<snip>
-D<name>=<value>
set a system property

So maybe, just maybe, the command should read:

java -DproxyHost=CAPROXY -DproxyPort=80
-cp d:\programs\axis\lib\axisjava\axis.jar
org.apache.axis.utils.tcpmon

Of course this is just a wild stab in the dark on my part... ;-)

6

6tc1

D'oh... sorry, you are of course right... I wasn't paying attention
when I received the suggestion and when I actually tried it.

However, I have tried this solution and it still results in me not
being able to connect to the external website. The text field on top
correctly shows the HTTP request generated by my browser - but the
lower text field shows the stack trace:

at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)

at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)

at org.apache.axis.utils.tcpmon$Connection.run(tcpmon.java:1144)

Is it possible the parameters are different than "proxyHost" and
"proxyPort"?

Thanks,
Novice

John K

Try:

java -cp d:\programs\axis\lib\axisjava\axis.jar -DproxyHost=CAPROXY
-DproxyPort=80 org.apache.axis.utils.tcpmon

Java system properties must be specified before the Main class.

-John K

Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi.

The properties are actually called http.proxyHost and http.proxyPort.
So the following line should work:

java -cp ./tcpmon-1.0.jar -Dhttp.proxyHost=myproxy.mydom.org -Dhttp.proxyPort=80 org.apache.ws.commons.tcpmon.TCPMon

Note that my jar and class names are different.

-Hubert

Last edited: