text not displaying properly

David

I am running the Debian (sid) distribution of Linux with Sun's java
version 1.4.2_05. I am hoping that someone might be able to help me
with a problem I'm having running some java applications. On some
applications the text in the edit boxes seems to be positioned to far
down in the box and the bottom of the text is cut off. In these same
applications there is often a problem with menu items not being seen in
drop down boxes like the text may be the same color as the background.

Is this something that is a linux problem or is it a programming flaw?
here is a sample site that I have a problem with.

http://www.island.com/bookviewer/javaversion.asp

Thanks