The actual limitations and uses of html frames

David Virgil Hobbs

I read about half of your responses, the most recent responses.

I guess what I would like to know is how to integrate external
javascripts with server side aspx getting the javascripts on the
server side.

I want to get into aspx at some point but I need the new XP operating
system to do that right now all I have is millenium.

I would like to know how to if possible get server side VBS scripts
to read values emplaced into form inputs by client side javascripts,
and how to if possible to get client side javascripts to read values
placed into form inputs by server side Visual Basic Scripts.

Can anyone point me to good web pages regarding getting client side
Visual Basic scripts to read values placed in form inputs by client
side javascripts?
Or good web pages re server side VB scripts reading server side
javascripts?

What is now a good website explaining server side javascript?

David Virgil Hobbs

....D. said:
Hurray. I am not alone. Since i posted less than a week ago about me being a
2 or 3 weeks student of HTML, who knew squat (my 1st website), and that I was
looking at a template that used frames, & that I liked it (scrolling text in
one frame for one thing), all I have gotten is negative responses. It';s nice
to see that there are still one or two people out of several million that is
pro-frames. I knew they couldn't be THAT evil.

I-frames are a type of frame. I mentioned them in the post that
started this thread, a fact forgotten by some of those commenting on
what I said. Use I frames instead of regular frames. I frames were
developed after regular frames were developed; much of the imitated
instructional material on frames was written before I frames were
developed but after regular frames were developed. Iframes allow you
to float a frame in an HTML page.

With regular frames, a problem is that you have a page without a body,
that contains frameset tags, the specs of the frame positions and
sizes, and the URL of the page that will be manifested in a given
frame. A tracker in this page containing the frameset tags will not
report any hits. Trackers in the pages represented by the URLs listed
in the frameset tags, will always report the page containing the
frameset tags as the referrer; thus you will not be able to use
trackers to monitor how the page containing the frames is getting the
hits. But if you use an Iframe as the frame containing your menu,
which is placed within the body of an HTML page and which manifests a
page called by a URL listed in the Iframe tag, you can put tracker
code in the body of the page containing the Iframe and this tracker
code will accurately report the sources of your referrals.

With regular frames, If you intended to have a different URL for each
page in your website, you would for every page you added to your
website, have to create two pages, one page containing the frameset
tags, and another page containing the body of the page, referred to by
the frameset tag of the other page. With an I-frame, you only need to
create one page for every page you add to your site, a page containing
a reference to the I frame. This page containing a reference to the I
frame can serve as a template so that subsequent addition of pages to
the site is automated.

Toby Inkster

David said:
I frames were developed after regular frames were developed; much of
the imitated instructional material on frames was written before I
frames were developed but after regular frames were developed.

And <iframe> has the *additional* disadvantage of not working in any
version of Netscape prior to the 6.0 betas. :)

Isofarro

David said:
I guess what I would like to know is how to integrate external
javascripts with server side aspx getting the javascripts on the
server side.

Forms do this. Post the results to the server side asp and that in turn
returns the page with the info.

If the content/functionality you offer is available in an accessible manner
via an existing route, then xmlhttprequest is an option - allows javascript
function to connect to a server-side script and retrieve information in
most allowable formats.