The best platform and editor for Python

kimiraikkonen

Hi,
For experienced with Pyhton users, which developing software and
enviroment would you suggest for Pyhton programming? Compiler+Editor
+Debugger.

Also what are your suggestions for beginners of Pyhton programming?

Thank you.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F6nmez_Kartal?=

Hello,

Emacs is the best for anything for me. Some people prefers Eclipse
with PyDev extension.

Build some real world applications with Python. Pick what do you need
from SourceForge or similar one then write it. If it is something you
need then you probably will make it more special then you found and
this will take you to the more coding and more...

By the way, thanks for winning Magny Cours grand prix Kimi... :p

kimiraikkonen

Hello,

Emacs is the best for anything for me. Some people prefers Eclipse
with PyDev extension.

Build some real world applications with Python. Pick what do you need
from SourceForge or similar one then write it. If it is something you
need then you probably will make it more special then you found and
this will take you to the more coding and more...

By the way, thanks for winning Magny Cours grand prix Kimi... :p

Sa ol say n Kartal :)

kimiraikkonen

Hello,

Emacs is the best for anything for me. Some people prefers Eclipse
with PyDev extension.

Build some real world applications with Python. Pick what do you need
from SourceForge or similar one then write it. If it is something you
need then you probably will make it more special then you found and
this will take you to the more coding and more...

By the way, thanks for winning Magny Cours grand prix Kimi... :p

Thank you for the suggestions. Tesekkurler Say n Kartal :)

kimiraikkonen

Hello,

Emacs is the best for anything for me. Some people prefers Eclipse
with PyDev extension.

Build some real world applications with Python. Pick what do you need
from SourceForge or similar one then write it. If it is something you
need then you probably will make it more special then you found and
this will take you to the more coding and more...

By the way, thanks for winning Magny Cours grand prix Kimi... :p

Thank you for the suggestions. I'd prefer a GUI-based, helpful and
easy-implemention skilled enviroment. Tesekkurler Sayin Kartal :)

Roy Smith

kimiraikkonen said:
Hi,
For experienced with Pyhton users, which developing software and
enviroment would you suggest for Pyhton programming? Compiler+Editor
+Debugger.

Also what are your suggestions for beginners of Pyhton programming?

Thank you.

I'm very happy with emacs using python mode (http://www.python.org/emacs/).
It's a love it or hate it kind of thing. If you're an emacs fan, you'll
probably not want to use anything else. If you're not an emacs fan, this
is probably not for you.

There really is no separate compiler. It's part and parcel of the
interpreter. Your .py files do get compiled into .pyc files, but it
happens automatically the first time you run a module. No need to run a
separate compilation phase like you would with C or Java.

As for a debugger, I've honestly never found the need for one. I invest a
lot of time in unit tests, which smoke out most of the bugs. For what's
left, it's easy enough to stick print statements in strategic places to see
what's going on.

Stef Mientki

Thank you for the suggestions. I'd prefer a GUI-based, helpful and
easy-implemention skilled enviroment. Tesekkurler Sayin Kartal :)

then first decide which graphical package you want to use,
because that limits your choice.

cheers,
Stef Mientki

kimiraikkonen

then first decide which graphical package you want to use,
because that limits your choice.

cheers,
Stef Mientki

I only have experience with Dev C++ for GUI and debugging based
programming for C/C++.
But i didn't know about Python.

So, like Visual Studio and Dev C++ similiar Python editor is welcome.

Laurent Pointal

kimiraikkonen said:
Hi,
For experienced with Pyhton users, which developing software and
enviroment would you suggest for Pyhton programming? Compiler+Editor
+Debugger.

Also what are your suggestions for beginners of Pyhton programming?

Under Windows, take a look at PyScripter.

For students learning Python, we are switching from Scite to PyScripter,
good editor, online Python shell, graphical debugger with step by step,
showing variables values in popups and many other sympathic features...
test it.

sjdevnull

kimiraikkonen said:
Hi,
For experienced with Pyhton users, which developing software and
enviroment would you suggest for Pyhton programming? Compiler+Editor
+Debugger.

I use standard CPython bytecode compiler/virtual machine, the Vim
editor, and standard pdb for debugging. Vim is nice as it's
multiplatform, has a built-in Python interpreter for writing
extensions, is free and lightweight. It's a modal editor so that's a
matter of taste--people either love it or hate it.
Also what are your suggestions for beginners of Pyhton programming?

Start with something like http://www.diveintopython.org for a brief
intro.
Pick a very small project and program it. Then pick something bigger
and do that. Once you're comfortable with small projects, find an
open-source project that you like and try to understand the code
enough to make some change you find useful; reading code is as
important as writing it.

evil tabby cat

Hi,
For experienced with Pyhton users, which developing software and
enviroment would you suggest for Pyhton programming? Compiler+Editor
+Debugger.

Also what are your suggestions for beginners of Pyhton programming?

Thank you.

http://www.wingware.com/ is pretty impressive but non-free of both
beer & speech varieties

kimiraikkonen

http://www.wingware.com/is pretty impressive but non-free of both
beer & speech varieties

Thanks for the replies so far. Also i have to learn:

What is the most reliable and easy way to start learning Ptyhon?
Books? Trusted code sammples(where?)?

I know the importance and eases of Python quite.

Thanks.

kimiraikkonen

Thanks for the replies so far. Also i have to learn:

What is the most reliable and easy way to start learning Ptyhon?
Books? Trusted code sammples(where?)?

I know the importance and eases of Python quiet.

Thanks.

Cameron Laird

Thanks for the replies so far. Also i have to learn:

What is the most reliable and easy way to start learning Ptyhon?
Books? Trusted code sammples(where?)?
.
.
.
Beside answering your direct questions (which others have already
done well), I think it's important to alert you (as others have
also done, though less directly) that learning and using Python is
different from VC++. Python is simply easier than C++; you might
well find that a debugger, for example, doesn't feel as essential
as it is for you with C++. Books might not be as necessary as
they were for C++.

I recommend you at least scan the following: <URL:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide >, <URL:
http://docs.python.org/tut/ >, and <URL:
http://www.poromenos.org/tutorials/python >.

ed

for my part, i'm a big fan of DrPython for writing python
code (especially on windows).
http://drpython.sourceforge.net/

you will need wxPython to have it running though

It's not per se an IDE but it
has a lot of feature to help you writing with some interesting plug-
ins.
You can launch code in the IDE, you have an inserted console etc.

Oh and it's written in python :)

../ed

kimiraikkonen

Thanks for the links and replies, taking care.

My another aim is: Can i develop graphical applications (like in
Windows) which contain menus, interactive dialog boxes etc. using
Ptyhon?

I got it quite but not sure. I don't know Ptyhon's capability skills
for creating interactive softwares like in Windows's created by C++ or
Delphi.

Kay Schluehr

Python is simply easier than C++; you might
well find that a debugger, for example, doesn't feel as essential
as it is for you with C++.

That's what I love most about the Python community. Whenever there is
just a non-standard, platform-dependent or crappy implementation of a
feature you get told that you don't need it. When printf was good for
little David print is good enough for me.

Among the first things I examine about an IDE ( for Python ) is the
integration of a good REPL and how well recursive functions can be
debugged ( yes, I know, Pythonistas can't recurse and so it is not
recommended as well but sometimes ... )

Gregor Horvath

Kay said:
That's what I love most about the Python community. Whenever there is
just a non-standard, platform-dependent or crappy implementation of a
feature you get told that you don't need it. When printf was good for
little David print is good enough for me.

That's a property of open source projects.
Features nobody really needs are not implemented.

Gregor

Gregor Horvath

kimiraikkonen said:
My another aim is: Can i develop graphical applications (like in
Windows) which contain menus, interactive dialog boxes etc. using
Ptyhon?

I got it quite but not sure. I don't know Ptyhon's capability skills
for creating interactive softwares like in Windows's created by C++ or
Delphi.

have a look at Dabo

http://www.dabodev.com/

Gregor