The New C Standard - free ebook for C coders

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by jchludzinski, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. jchludzinski

    jchludzinski Guest

    jchludzinski, Jun 21, 2005

  2. jchludzinski

    Richard Bos Guest

    As an example of machine-generated literature it's pretty effective, but
    you need to work on having it write meaningful content.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Jun 22, 2005

  3. But do read the article first -- it's not your ordinary C book.

    -Larry Jones

    Is it too much to ask for an occasional token gesture of appreciation?!
    -- Calvin

    lawrence.jones, Jun 22, 2005
  4. jchludzinski

    Randy Howard Guest

    Was this an attempt to write a C book larger and heavier than C
    Unleashed?

    :)

    Randy Howard, Jun 22, 2005
  5. I find it very interesting, actually. Jones has created an excellent
    reference to a great deal of literature on C. There are a great many
    interesting comments on C's development and the Committee's decisions;
    while some of that is available in the Rationale, there's a lot of new
    information here, I believe. I appreciate the detailed comparisons
    with C++ on a wide array of points, since I have to use C++ for some
    projects and I know the C standard much better than the C++ one.

    The book should come in handy for winning arguments; Jones' focus on
    the economics of developing in C will carry weight with beancounters.

    Some of the coding guidelines do look useful, particularly when Jones
    cites studies to back them up.

    And frankly I simply find a lot of it fascinating, even if it doesn't
    seem to be immediately applicable - like the discussion on what
    factors have been demonstrated as having little effect on source-
    code readability (such as serif versus sans-serif typeface).

    It's a pity it wasn't copyedited, though. Just in skimming it I
    found a number of typos and there are occasional formatting issues.

    Michael Wojcik, Jun 23, 2005
  6. I'm sure Derek would like to know about them. Since it's published
    electronically, there's a good chance he'll fix them, too. :)

    -Larry Jones

    Even if lives DID hang in the balance, it would depend on whose they were.
    -- Calvin

    lawrence.jones, Jun 24, 2005
  7. jchludzinski

    CBFalconer Guest

    I think he's talking about this:

    <http://www.knosof.co.uk/cbook/cbook1_00.pdf> (about 1600 pages)

    which won't get heavier without printing. :) So far it is an
    interesting compendium of <things>. You want to get it with wget
    or curl, to avoid any doubled downloading. About 8 megabytes.
    IIRC he publicized it on the splint mailing list, of all places.

    CBFalconer, Jun 25, 2005
  8. jchludzinski

    Randy Howard Guest

    I'm aware. The article implied he tried to have it published, without
    success. Hence my comment.
    I have it. Not sure why just yet. :)

    Randy Howard, Jun 25, 2005
  9. I'll try to make a list. Copy-editing a PDF by email is difficult,
    since the only good way to show errors is with a marked-up original,
    and that's tough to do without Acrobat Pro, which I refuse to spend
    money on.

    --
    Michael Wojcik

    Auden often writes like Disney. Like Disney, he knows the shape of beasts --
    (& incidently he, too, might have a company of artists producing his lines) --
    unlike Lawrence, he does not know what shapes or motivates these beasts.
    -- Dylan Thomas

    Michael Wojcik, Jun 28, 2005
  10. Michael,

    Due to a certain amount of incompetence on my part I replied to
    this thread on comp.std.c
    It was professionaly copyedited up to sentence 1347 before the
    plug was pulled. Information on typos is most welcome. I am
    even keeping a lot of them, for use by writers of grammar checking
    tools:
    http://www.knosof.co.uk/cbook/grambugs.html

    There is also now a mirror for the book's pdf (NTL might
    eventually twig that a certain pdf is eating a lot of bandwidth).
    http://www.cwic-solutions.co.uk/docs/cbook1_0a.pdf

    Other book material, and some subsets of it, can be found at:
    http://www.knosof.co.uk/cbook/cbook.html

    Those of you wanting to search for material in the C Standard will
    be interested in checking out (at least you will be once google
    gets around to indexing it):
    http://c0x.coding-guidelines.com

    The layout issue of a magin paragraph appearing at the bottom of the
    page and belonging to text that appears at the top of the following
    page I know about. The generous vertical spacing on some pages
    is outside my control (or rather it requires a degree of low level
    tweaking that I am not willing to get involved with; at least for
    a non-paper version). Pointers to any other layout issues welcome.

    Derek M Jones, Jun 30, 2005