The New C Standard - free ebook for C coders

Michael Wojcik

As an example of machine-generated literature it's pretty effective, but
you need to work on having it write meaningful content.

I find it very interesting, actually. Jones has created an excellent
reference to a great deal of literature on C. There are a great many
interesting comments on C's development and the Committee's decisions;
while some of that is available in the Rationale, there's a lot of new
information here, I believe. I appreciate the detailed comparisons
with C++ on a wide array of points, since I have to use C++ for some
projects and I know the C standard much better than the C++ one.

The book should come in handy for winning arguments; Jones' focus on
the economics of developing in C will carry weight with beancounters.

Some of the coding guidelines do look useful, particularly when Jones
cites studies to back them up.

And frankly I simply find a lot of it fascinating, even if it doesn't
seem to be immediately applicable - like the discussion on what
factors have been demonstrated as having little effect on source-
code readability (such as serif versus sans-serif typeface).

It's a pity it wasn't copyedited, though. Just in skimming it I
found a number of typos and there are occasional formatting issues.

lawrence.jones

Michael Wojcik said:
It's a pity it wasn't copyedited, though. Just in skimming it I
found a number of typos and there are occasional formatting issues.

I'm sure Derek would like to know about them. Since it's published
electronically, there's a good chance he'll fix them, too. :)

-Larry Jones

Even if lives DID hang in the balance, it would depend on whose they were.
-- Calvin

CBFalconer

Randy said:
(e-mail address removed) says...

Was this an attempt to write a C book larger and heavier than C
Unleashed?

I think he's talking about this:

<http://www.knosof.co.uk/cbook/cbook1_00.pdf> (about 1600 pages)

which won't get heavier without printing. :) So far it is an
interesting compendium of <things>. You want to get it with wget
or curl, to avoid any doubled downloading. About 8 megabytes.
IIRC he publicized it on the splint mailing list, of all places.

Michael Wojcik

I'm sure Derek would like to know about them. Since it's published
electronically, there's a good chance he'll fix them, too. :)

I'll try to make a list. Copy-editing a PDF by email is difficult,
since the only good way to show errors is with a marked-up original,
and that's tough to do without Acrobat Pro, which I refuse to spend
money on.

--
Michael Wojcik (e-mail address removed)

Auden often writes like Disney. Like Disney, he knows the shape of beasts --
(& incidently he, too, might have a company of artists producing his lines) --
unlike Lawrence, he does not know what shapes or motivates these beasts.
-- Dylan Thomas

Derek M Jones

Michael,

Due to a certain amount of incompetence on my part I replied to
this thread on comp.std.c
I'll try to make a list. Copy-editing a PDF by email is difficult,
since the only good way to show errors is with a marked-up original,
and that's tough to do without Acrobat Pro, which I refuse to spend
money on.

It was professionaly copyedited up to sentence 1347 before the
plug was pulled. Information on typos is most welcome. I am
even keeping a lot of them, for use by writers of grammar checking
tools:
http://www.knosof.co.uk/cbook/grambugs.html

There is also now a mirror for the book's pdf (NTL might
eventually twig that a certain pdf is eating a lot of bandwidth).
http://www.cwic-solutions.co.uk/docs/cbook1_0a.pdf

Other book material, and some subsets of it, can be found at:
http://www.knosof.co.uk/cbook/cbook.html

Those of you wanting to search for material in the C Standard will
be interested in checking out (at least you will be once google
gets around to indexing it):
http://c0x.coding-guidelines.com

The layout issue of a magin paragraph appearing at the bottom of the
page and belonging to text that appears at the top of the following
page I know about. The generous vertical spacing on some pages
is outside my control (or rather it requires a degree of low level
tweaking that I am not willing to get involved with; at least for
a non-paper version). Pointers to any other layout issues welcome.