'The page cannot be displayed' error when using IE's Back button...

shmooth

The real error, as stated at the end of IE's error page, is 'Cannot
find server or DNS Error'. It seems like this is an IE bug(s), but I
would like to fix and haven't been able to.

I'm using a struts/Tomcat-based app. I have Windows XP Professional
with IE 6.x with XP Service Pack 2 installed. I'm testing and getting
this error against both a localhost-based app and the same app deployed
remotely.

Any clues? Neither Firefox nor Opera exhibit this behavior. Any
ideas?

Wish I could just forget about IE, but no such luck. It's not just my
machine - it's all developers at my company. I'll try to reproduce
from outside of work with XP Home, but not hopeful.

I've tried using both 'localhost' and '127.0.0.1'. Is there anything I
haven't tried yet?

I know IE sucks, but a non-functioning Back button? C'mon. And I feel
the error has to have something to do with my app/struts/expires-type
headers/etc - something. I actually haven't been able to verify if my
app/Tomcat is sending out 'expires' and 'cache' headers of different
types - I don't think so, based on the code, but at least my logon page
is throwing out the following headers:

Pragma: No-cache
Cache-Control: no-cache
Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT

I think these are from Tomcat, but not sure why they're being issues,
and not sure if they're the cause of my problems.

Robert kebernet Cooper

Start by going into your IE options and turning off "Friendly Error
Messages".