ThreadAbortException

Hans Reins

Hello,

recently I have encountered with the strange issue concerning
ThreadAbortException that throws DbDataAdapter.Fill (see below the
stacktrace [1]). At the first time I suppose that this problem due to
Command.Timeout property that was set too small, but to tell the truth
it has the maximum value - 65534 and this exception throws after 10-15
minutes of execution of Stored Procedure.

Also I've noticed that the problem completely relates to SQL server when
it was really loaded (about 99% of processor usage). So my question is
how can I detect what causes this exception (and how to prevent it) - if
it is SQL server, is it possible to modify properties of SP execution
timeout or something?

All kind of information would be really helpful.

Thanks!

[1] Stacktrace:
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior
cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean
returnStream)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior
behavior)
at
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior
behavior)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillFromCommand(Object data,
Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String
srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32
startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable,
IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet)

Karl Seguin

If your IIS and SQLServer are on the same machine, and it's under high load,
it could be that your worker process is recycling. There are a number of
reasons why the worker process would recycle...such as memory constraints,
idle constraints, absolute times and so on. I wouldn't expect it to abort
so violently, but if it's trying to recycle and a thread is preventing it
from doing so for 15 minutes, then I could see how it would decide to do
that...

anyways, are they on the same box? if so check out:
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config (path
might be different on other OS (WinNt)

and look at the <processModel section..you'll see all the cases in which
the worker process would recycle

Oh ya, and don't play with that file in production, you could mess things
up.

Karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials