Time for a ruby-announce list?

Rick DeNatale

We are seeing a lot or release announcements among the regular posts
these days, taking up a larger and larger percentage of total posts.

There already is one:
http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-community-announcements

So far, basically unused. =A0 Easier just to filter on [ANN] tag.

So in a year or so this has 26 threads and 28 posts.

I think that that's ample evidence that a separate group isn't a very
popular idea.

I'm all for keeping the announcements right here thank you. I already
have way too many info sources to aggregate already.

--=20
Rick DeNatale

Gregory Brown

We are seeing a lot or release announcements among the regular posts
these days, taking up a larger and larger percentage of total posts.

There already is one:
http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-community-announcements

So far, basically unused. =A0 Easier just to filter on [ANN] tag.

So in a year or so this has 26 threads and 28 posts.

I think that that's ample evidence that a separate group isn't a very
popular idea.

I'm all for keeping the announcements right here thank you. =A0I already
have way too many info sources to aggregate already.

I agree. It seemed like a good idea at the time and didn't catch on.
Since I had to double post all my announcements anyway, its easier
just to set up filters on RubyTalk.

-greg

Eleanor McHugh

I agree. It seemed like a good idea at the time and didn't catch on.
Since I had to double post all my announcements anyway, its easier
just to set up filters on RubyTalk.

Let's face it, we're still not that big a community and until there's
a couple of thousand regular posters all announcing their latest
projects there really isn't going to be sufficient pressure to make a
separate announcements list worthwhile.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net

James Britt

Roger said:
We are seeing a lot or release announcements among the regular posts
these days, taking up a larger and larger percentage of total posts.
Perhaps if we have a separate list for them then:

+1
I always wish I could subscribe to just the announcements [more than the
rubyforge RSS, which for some reason doesn't get them all] because
subscribing to ruby-talk is too much traffic and I'm too lazy to setup a
filter in my gmail. Barrier to entry. Maybe bring it up to the core
fellas?

http://vuxu.org/~chris/ruby-talk-ann.rss

--
James Britt

www.neurogami.com - Smart application development

Eric Hodel

We are seeing a lot or release announcements among the regular posts
these days, taking up a larger and larger percentage of total posts.
Perhaps if we have a separate list for them then:

+1
I always wish I could subscribe to just the announcements [more than
the
rubyforge RSS, which for some reason doesn't get them all] because
subscribing to ruby-talk is too much traffic and I'm too lazy to
setup a
filter in my gmail. Barrier to entry. Maybe bring it up to the core
fellas?

Are you subscribed to:

http://gems.rubyforge.org/index.rss

However, a significant fraction of gem authors forget to put
description in their gems, so the feed is not as useful as it should be.

Yossef Mendelssohn

subscribing to ruby-talk is too much traffic and I'm too lazy to setup a
filter in my gmail. =A0Barrier to entry.

Considering it should take you less than 30 seconds to make a gmail
filter, my suggestion to you is "become less lazy".

Look, I'll help you out:

Matches: to:([email protected])
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "ruby-talk"

Robert Dober

Considering it should take you less than 30 seconds to make a gmail
filter, my suggestion to you is "become less lazy".
I have enough of them,
I do not want other announcements to go to the release label and there
are other issues that have been discussed.
I can happily live with the majority being against Tom's idea, but I
feel that the "c'on use a label" or your friendly "be less lazy", ty
very much ;), simply does not Tom's idea the thinking and credit it
deserves.
Look, I'll help you out:

=A0 =A0Matches: to:([email protected])
=A0 =A0Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "ruby-talk"
At least you could have got it right....

Robert

Gregory Brown

I have enough of them,
I do not want other announcements to go to the release label and there
are other issues that have been discussed.
I can happily live with the majority being against Tom's idea, but I
feel that the "c'on use a label" or your friendly "be less lazy", ty
very much ;), simply does not Tom's idea the thinking and credit it
deserves.

Man, I really wish there was a parallel universe where you and Trans
could be happy with how things are going, so that we don't need to go
through the same cycle of:

Trans: I want thing Foo
Rest of RubyTalk: This has come up many times before, and here's what happe=
ned
Robert: Hey come on, don't be hard on Trans.

I'm really not trying to be rude here, the archive shows this pattern
clearly, and I think it's problematic.

-greg

Robert Dober

Man, I really wish there was a parallel universe where you and Trans
could be happy with how things are going, so that we don't need to go
through the same cycle of:

Trans: =A0I want thing Foo
Rest of RubyTalk: This has come up many times before, and here's what hap= pened
Robert: Hey come on, don't be hard on Trans.

I'm really not trying to be rude here, the archive shows this pattern
clearly, and I think it's problematic.
I agree, maybe someone can point me to a good therapist.
Robert

Ryan Davis

Man, I really wish there was a parallel universe where you and Trans
could be happy with how things are going, so that we don't need to go
through the same cycle of:

Trans: I want thing Foo
Rest of RubyTalk: This has come up many times before, and here's
what happened
Robert: Hey come on, don't be hard on Trans.

I'm really not trying to be rude here, the archive shows this pattern
clearly, and I think it's problematic.

I love you so much.

Aaron Patterson

Man, I really wish there was a parallel universe where you and Trans
could be happy with how things are going, so that we don't need to go
through the same cycle of:

loop do
Trans: I want thing Foo
Rest of RubyTalk: This has come up many times before, and here's what happened
Robert: Hey come on, don't be hard on Trans.

sleep rand(100)

end

John Barnette

Man, I really wish there was a parallel universe where you and Trans
could be happy with how things are going, so that we don't need to go
through the same cycle of:

Trans: =C2=A0I want thing Foo
Rest of RubyTalk: This has come up many times before, and here's what hap= pened
Robert: Hey come on, don't be hard on Trans.

I'm really not trying to be rude here, the archive shows this pattern
clearly, and I think it's problematic.

Greg, you're my hero.

~ j.

Tony Arcieri

We are seeing a lot or release announcements among the regular posts
these days, taking up a larger and larger percentage of total posts.
Perhaps if we have a separate list for them then:

1) ruby-talk itself would improve

I came to ruby-talk to make a release announcement, and stayed for the
conversation.

If there were just a release announcements list separate from ruby-talk, I
probably wouldn't be here.

lith

If there were just a release announcements list separate from ruby-talk, I
probably wouldn't be here.

IMHO most discussions related to announcements begin like "Sounds
great but I cannot get it to work" or "Great stuff. How does this
compare to X?" IMHO such discussions could be allowed on a not so
strict announcement-focused list.

Anyway, as somebody has said it before, if such a list isn't an
official ruby-lang list, only few people will read it, and people will
continue posting announcements to ruby-talk anyway.

trans

Man, I really wish there was a parallel universe where you and Trans
could be happy with how things are going, so that we don't need to go
through the same cycle of:

Trans: =A0I want thing Foo
Rest of RubyTalk: This has come up many times before, and here's what hap= pened
Robert: Hey come on, don't be hard on Trans.

I'm really not trying to be rude here, the archive shows this pattern
clearly, and I think it's problematic.

That's absolutely laughable. The real pattern here is: Trans earnestly
asks if Foo would be a good idea, and then "the gang" devolves the
conversation into a Trans bash. Heaven help anyone else who might
agree, even a smidgen, with Trans, like poor Robert here.

The whole situation has become intolerable. It's so bad that I have to
tell people, when I submit a patch or otherwise help with someone
else's code, not to mention me with regards to it for fear that
they're project might get tainted by the slander of Ryan and friend's
for having any association with me.

I even went to RubyConf once, but had to turn around and leave b/c I
have felt so eviscerated in this public forum --I could not stomach
the thought that the same might happen in person.

The fact is, your guy's behavior is ignorant, overtly rude,
disingenuous, condescending, cliquish and childish. You are simply
bullies. You do not earnestly engage in conversation. In this very
thread there were points made that none of you ever addressed, and
instead simply repeated the same broken argument --before devolving
into your usual public circle jerk.

It is untenable. And I have had enough. It is no longer important
enough to me to put up with it. So I am exiting --stage left. It
greatly saddens me to do so as some of my projects were, after such a
great deal of time and work, reaching a level of solidity that I was
looking forward to sharing them with a broader audience. But who
really cares right? You'd rather I be in a parallel universe.

I don't need to go on any further. Other's have said it all before.

What Zed said [http://www.zedshaw.com/rants/rails_is_a_ghetto.html].

quaclass,
T.

Todd Benson

[...]

The thing though, too though is, effectively attracting new and
interesting code from potentially great coders may be harder. The
[ANN] allows this opportunity in a friendly way.

Now, on Trans' talk on pointing netiquette fingers is partly true, but
I've found this rather rare on this list.

I go through the mails visually, so I can see the timing of what's
going on and when. I sometimes get to see a correlation between
questions/answers and announcements. I could write a script that does
the same. But, it really is easier to either set up a filter
(something that I will never do, because I might miss something really
fascinating) or just comb through on a regular basis. Honestly, it
takes me about 10 minutes to manually pick through them if I do it
every day, and another 30 if I want to follow the good conversations.

I guess it comes down to how granular you want it. I could suggest,
for example, the crazy proposition that people have different mail
addresses for different lists, but I'm sure I'd be laughed at ;)

I'm on the fence.

Todd

Schalk Neethling

Have a look at releases.ossreleasefeed.com/ There is currently an issue
with the hash tags but once sorted, soon, you can simply follow the RSS
feed for the hash ruby for example.

Let me know if anyone wants to get involved in improving the current
framework for release/announcement specific usage.

Kind Regards,
Schalk

I always wish I could subscribe to just the announcements [more than the
rubyforge RSS, which for some reason doesn't get them all] because
subscribing to ruby-talk is too much traffic and I'm too lazy to setup a
filter in my gmail. Barrier to entry. Maybe bring it up to the core
fellas?

http://vuxu.org/~chris/ruby-talk-ann.rss

Hmm. Is that available in mailing list form at all?
-r

Michel Martens

I always wish I could subscribe to just the announcements [more than th= e
rubyforge RSS, which for some reason doesn't get them all] because
subscribing to ruby-talk is too much traffic and I'm too lazy to setup = a
filter in my gmail. =C2=A0Barrier to entry. =C2=A0Maybe bring it up to = the core
fellas?

http://vuxu.org/~chris/ruby-talk-ann.rss

Hmm. Is that available in mailing list form at all?
-r

You can subscribe to ruby-talk and set up a filter to keep only the
[ANN] emails.