[ANN] ruby-community-announcements Mailing List

Gregory Brown

Hi folks,

As an experiment, I created a Google Group dedicated specifically to
Ruby Community Announcements:

http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-community-announcements

What is a Ruby community announcement? In my mind, it's notice of a
new release, a new book on Ruby, some new service available for
Rubyists, and other things of the like. It doesn't necessarily need
to be non-commercial, but it should be 'of community interest'. If
you move your blog or start a new one, posting a link would be a
community announcement. If you post a link to every blog post you
write, you're probably just being annoying.

I realized that ever since I stopped regularly reading RubyTalk, I've
been missing out on the many great announcements here. I guess I have
found myself still deeply interested in what everyone is 'doing' even
if I can't keep track of what everyone is saying now that the volume
is so high.

If you like this idea, please sign up. If you don't like this idea,
just don't sign up. I know this is a sensitive issue for some and if
this new group never takes off, I don't mind. I'm also not
suggesting that people use this as the *only* place for their
announcements, I'll still be sure to announce major releases and stuff
on RubyTalk, and I think a lot of others will want to, too.

Anyway, hope that some folks find this useful. If you do, spread the
word and start announcing your stuff on the list. I'm sorry for not
discussing it here first, but I doubt we'd ever come to a consensus ;)

-greg

Roger Pack

Might be even more useful if it auto CC'ed ruby talk, or had a one stop
form for CC'ing various groups with the announcements.

Gregory Brown

Might be even more useful if it auto CC'ed ruby talk, or had a one stop
form for CC'ing various groups with the announcements.

Let's see how it looks after a few weeks and then I might bring that
discussion up here.

-greg

Murray Steele

I'm not poo-pooing the idea, but I've always found that a filter / mail rule
for "to:ruby-talk + subject:[ANN] or [ADV]" works pretty well (for some
version of a mail program that would accept such wonky filter syntax).

James Britt

Gregory said:
[...]

chris2 created an RSS feed that only server up r-t items that contain
'ann' in the title.

I use that to catch things I miss in my scan of r-t topics.

If you like this idea, please sign up. If you don't like this idea,
just don't sign up. I know this is a sensitive issue for some and if
this new group never takes off, I don't mind. I'm also not
suggesting that people use this as the *only* place for their
announcements, I'll still be sure to announce major releases and stuff
on RubyTalk, and I think a lot of others will want to, too.

The issue for me is that there is no Ruby commons where everyone can
intermingle. Instead, we have a collection of specialized lists, blog
cliques, twitter flocks, #irc channels, and so on.

There is (or will be) no Ruby community, just assorted Ruby tribes.

I understand people have issues with the volume of posts and the
signal/noise ratio, but if more and more people, especially "old
timers", keep ignoring ruby-talk, there's no guidance for people just
joining in.

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding

Marcin Raczkowski

For people that are tu stupid to create filter that moves everything
that contains [ANN] case-insensitive to separate folder

Jeremy McAnally

His original message stated that this list is for people who _only_
care about the ANN/ADV stuff and don't care about the some of the
mindless chatter and bike shed arguments that tend to pop up on this
list.

I think if anything, he's the smart one. :p

--Jeremy

For people that are tu stupid to create filter that moves everything that
contains [ANN] case-insensitive to separate folder

--
http://jeremymcanally.com/
http://entp.com

Read my books:
Ruby in Practice (http://manning.com/mcanally/)
My free Ruby e-book (http://humblelittlerubybook.com/)

Or, my blogs:
http://mrneighborly.com
http://rubyinpractice.com

Marcin Raczkowski

Jeremy said:
His original message stated that this list is for people who _only_
care about the ANN/ADV stuff and don't care about the some of the
mindless chatter and bike shed arguments that tend to pop up on this
list.
Creating filter that removes everything else instead of moving to
separate folder, is so so diffirent :p

Of course my previous post was irony, i just want to point that creating
more and more lists that i would have to keep track of, subscribe,
check, is basically stupid idea if you have much simpler alternatives