[tomcat] port 80

Michael Mueller

Greetings,

I started my first test using tomcat as a container for servlets / java
server pages.
Any request to the special server port (8080) is fine. But I want to use
the standard http port. The user should be able to access some pure http
pages as well as servlets or java server pages - without any need to
change the port.

How to do this?

Michael

Michael Mueller

IchBin said:
Not sure if this helps but I front end Tomcat with Apache2. Apache2 can
handle all 80 port and forward 8080 to tomcat.

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)
ya, that realy what I want to do - no single installation of tomcat.
I try to figure this out
Thanks
Michael

David Segall

Michael Mueller said:
ya, that realy what I want to do - no single installation of tomcat.
I try to figure this out
Thanks
Michael
This is the way to go if your server has plenty of memory and if you
receive a lot of traffic most of which does not require a JSP server.
Otherwise, Tomcat is a capable HTTP server and you will simplify your
life and reduce the load on your server computer if you do not have to
run two different servers. I suggest you start with the simple change
I have suggested in a separate post and upgrade to Apache plus Tomcat
when you need to. By that time you may find that you will better
served (pun intended) by a certified J2EE server like JBoss, GlassFish
or Geronimo.

IchBin

Michael said:
ya, that realy what I want to do - no single installation of tomcat.
I try to figure this out
Thanks
Michael

Well, if you decide to do it, I have information on how to have both of
them to talk to each other from install to testing them on my website at:
http://weconsultants.servebeer.com/JHackerAppManager/Portal?xpc=1$@90$@1$@1&folder=20050711205318410

Things I did to get it to work. That is, the site you will be actually
looking at.