tough Kiosk/Fullscreen question

carlynor

I am working on a client project that has a requirement where,

- if a user clicks a button it launches into full kiosk mode, no
toolbars etc.....

I've seen many examples out there, seperately for IE and Firefox - but
nothing seems to work perfectly.

Can someone please help me? Please contact me here or by email.
Kindest regards, Carly

Randy Webb

(e-mail address removed) said the following on 4/17/2006 9:51 PM:
I am working on a client project that has a requirement where,

- if a user clicks a button it launches into full kiosk mode, no
toolbars etc.....

That "button" they need to click - in IE and Firefox - is F11, problem
solved.
I've seen many examples out there, seperately for IE and Firefox - but
nothing seems to work perfectly.

See above.

carlynor

This was not responsive to my request -

Randy said:
(e-mail address removed) said the following on 4/17/2006 9:51 PM:

That "button" they need to click - in IE and Firefox - is F11, problem
solved.

See above.

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

(e-mail address removed) writes:

[Top post fixed]

This was not responsive to my request

It's damn close, and it works. You should consider whether it can
be written off as a solution to the requirement.

If you are not aiming your page at the internet, but, e.g., at a
corporate intranet where you can make assumptions about the clients
used, you should say so. There is no general solution suitable
for internet deployment.

You can *try* to open a window with no chrome, using

window.open("urlOfPageToShow","nameOfWindowForReuse",
"scrollbars=yes,fullscreen=yes");

You will see that different browsers handle this differently. Even
the "fullscreen" property is not understood by all browsers.

Generally, opening windows is not recommended these days, since popup
blockers can ruin the effect.

You can read more about opening windows here:
<URL:http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/JSwindows.html>

/L

Randy Webb

Hywel Jenkins said the following on 4/18/2006 6:28 PM:
That's not "Kiosk Mode". With IE, you get that by starting IE with
iexplore -k http://www.microsoft.com/

F11 doesn't get you that.

True, but you can't get Kiosk mode programatically in a default
environment. The closest you can get is F11 and that is cross-browser.

carlynor

True, but you can't get Kiosk mode programatically in a default
environment. The closest you can get is F11 and that is cross-browser.

Yep, you are most certainly right. That stopped being possible after
IE 3.0 era.