treevew too slow in IE runs instantly in Firefox

Joe Stateson

Not sure what is going on. I have a treeview of an XmlDataSource with
cacheing enabled. With only a few nodes there is no problem on a postback,
the treeview is repainted immediately. With a lot of nodes and many many
leaves, it can take 2 minutes for a repaint. Both running in debug (VS2005)
or just running the web page from the wwwroot server using IE7. However, if
I bring up FireFox to view the page, the repaint takes only a second. That
is a huge difference and the treeview navigator is actually useable.

I added validateRequest="false" to the page directive but that didnt help.
There must be some setting in IE7 causing the problem??? Once the treeview
is drawn both IE7 and FF work fine. One can expand or collapse notes, put
[x] in checkbox, etc. But a postback in IE7 can take 2 minutes -vs- one
second in FF. The postback on page_load does not explicitly draw the
treeview; the problem seems internal to IE7 and there are no errors in the
event log.

bruce barker

the treeview renders as a table. ie has poor table rendering
performance, so you will want to cut the number of node down (say < 40).
if the tree is large, you wnat to use an ajax enabled treeview that
loads nodes when opened (not repaint like update panel).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Joe Stateson

Thanks Bruce - I am sure you are correct about opening nodes on demand when
there are many nodes. My problem here (i am guessing) is that it turned out
there was not enough memory available, even with 3gb. At one time I had 2
copies of VS2005 open. When I closed VS2005 and ran from
localhost/default.aspx it took only 15 seconds -vs- 2 minutes. That is
still slower than firefox but is useable. When I published to the remote
server that is supposed to handle the page, firefox took 3 seconds to load
(instead of 1 second) and IE7 took 15 seconds to load the same tree. I had
been running the page under the debugger (VS2005) and that seemed to have
fragmented memory. I have not used ajax but I googled around and ajax
treeview's are available, but at a price. The "bind depth" property of the
treevew seems to make an exponential difference in time for IE7 to load, but
not for FF.