tricky regular expressions

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ernesto, Feb 7, 2006.

  1. Ernesto

    Ernesto Guest

    I'm trying to get the right syntax for my regular expression. The
    string I'm trying to parse is:

    # myString
    [USELESS DATA]
    Request: Play
    [USELESS DATA]
    Name: David Dude
    [USELESS DATA]
    Request: Next
    [USELESS DATA]
    Name: Ernesto Python User

    # Right now, I'm using the following code:

    pattern_Name= '''(?x)
    Title:\s+(.+)
    '''
    names = re.findall(pattern_Name, myString)
    print names

    This captures all of the names, but I want an added requirement:
    Only capture names which are followed (not necessarily immediately) by
    "Request: Play" or "Request: Next". I guess the regular expression
    would look something like:

    '''(?x)
    ["Request: Play" OR "Request: Next"][intermediate
    data]Title:\s+(.+)
    '''
    I didn't see any RE constructs like this in the docs, but I have a
    feeling it's possible.

    Ernesto, Feb 7, 2006