trigger updatepanel from gridview button

Guest

I have a gridview with buttons in a column and I want those buttons to be
triggers for an update panel further down on the page. So for example, when
a user clicks on the button in row 3, I want an async postback to occur and
an update panel in a different section of the page to update and display "Row
3 was clicked". The gridview is outside of the update panel.

How can I accomplish this? The update panel does not seem to support adding
triggers to a RowCommand event on a grid view or for a button inside of a
template column. Is there a way in client script to enroll a particular
control's click event into an async postback for an update panel instead of
the normal postback?

Thanks for the help,
Joe