Try Catch not working

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by j.t.w, Nov 9, 2006.

  1. j.t.w

    j.t.w Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I am trying to error trap for an invalid file name. When an invalid
    file name is given, a message box saying "Cannot find
    'file:///F:/Invoice/111.tif'. Make sure the path of Internet address is
    correct.".

    How can I go about redirecting to another page should an invalid file
    name be given? Or can I run some other code to go look up in a database
    the location of the file?

    Here is the code I am working with...

    Protected Sub SearchButton_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
    System.EventArgs) Handles SearchButton.Click
    Dim ImageString As String

    Select Case ImageTypeRadioButtonList.SelectedItem.ToString
    Case "AWB"
    ImageString = "<script>window.open('F:/AWB/" +
    ImageTextBox.Text + ".tif', '_blank');</script>"
    Case "Invoice"
    'ImageString = "<script>window.open('F:/Invoice/" +
    ImageTextBox.Text + ".tif', '_blank');</script>"
    Case "Voucher"
    ImageString = "<script>window.open('F:/Voucher/" +
    ImageTextBox.Text + ".tif', '_blank');</script>"
    End Select
    ImageTextBox.Text = ""
    ImageTextBox.Focus()

    Try
    Response.Write(ImageString)
    Response.Write("<script
    language='javascript'>history.back()</script>")
    Catch ex As Exception
    Response.Redirect("http://www.google.com")
    Finally

    End Try
    End Sub

    Thanks for your help in this matter.
    j.t.w

    j.t.w, Nov 9, 2006

  2. You won't be able to catch it on the code behind because it is trying to
    open a file on the client. You'd need to wrap the code in a try/catch script
    block. The basic syntax is the same but the exception code would need to be
    placed inside the script tags.

    You do realize that according to your code, you are trying to open a file on
    the user's desktop and not on the server right?

    --
    ________________________
    Warm regards,

    [Shameless Author plug]
    Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley
    The O.W.C. Black Book with .NET
    www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon
    Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/blogs/alvin

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Nov 9, 2006

  3. you are doing the catch on the server, when the error in on the client. as
    its a page not found error, there is no way to catch it.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\), Nov 9, 2006
  4. j.t.w

    j.t.w Guest

    Thanks for your reply.

    This page is running on our Intranet, so I guess that's why it was
    running. I've changed it so that the page retrieves the file from the
    server. Thanks for the heads up.

    Now it reads...
    ImageString = "<script>window.open('file://MyServer/AWB/" +
    ImageTextBox.Text + ".tif', '_blank');</script>"

    Can you show me how to place the code between script tags? I've tried a
    couple of different ways but it doesn't seem to work.

    Thanks,
    j.t.w

    j.t.w, Nov 10, 2006
  5. If the file is on the server, use the code behind and the file exist method
    to determine if the file is available. I think that's what you want.
    Construct your script appropriately.

    --

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Nov 11, 2006