two copies of same file: only one works

Joy Beeson

I have two copies of the very same file, both copied directly from my
primary local copy. When viewed with a browser, this copy
http://www.joy.debeeson.net/PAGESEW/HandSew.htm
has illustrations, and this copy
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/~roughsewing/HandSew.htm
doesn't.

WS-FTP says that the directory and all the files are there, and Link
checker says that the links to the illustration files work, but
Comcast says "not found".

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

richard

I have two copies of the very same file, both copied directly from my
primary local copy. When viewed with a browser, this copy
http://www.joy.debeeson.net/PAGESEW/HandSew.htm
has illustrations, and this copy
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/~roughsewing/HandSew.htm
doesn't.

WS-FTP says that the directory and all the files are there, and Link
checker says that the links to the illustration files work, but
Comcast says "not found".

I'll hazard a guess and say that the images are not in the same folder on
the comcast page.
Either post the images to that folder, or link to the images with the full
url path.

Denis McMahon

I'll hazard a guess and say that the images are not in the same folder
on the comcast page.
Either post the images to that folder, or link to the images with the
full url path.

I'd hazard a guess that something unusual is happening on the comcast web
server.

I'd base this on the fact that wget sees a 406 not acceptable error when
I try requesting the pages, which is the first time I've ever seen a 406
error!

Using --accept * solved that.

However, when I try and load the images from the expected locations on
the comcast server, I get 404 not found responses.

I think the problem may be in the configuration of the comcast web
server, so I guess comcast customer support is your next call.

I wish you luck, convincing them that there's a problem they need to fix
on their web servers is going to be as tedious as herding cats, and
possibly less successful - cats get hungry occasionally and are then
amenable to following the smell of food.

Joy Beeson

so I guess comcast customer support is your next call.

I was afraid that you'd say that. Customer support for "Personal Web
Pages" wasn't much *before* the existing sites were grandfathered.

So I guess I'll just add a link to the TIS copy of the page.

At least Comcast's PWP space is still a good place to stash off-site
backups of non-sensitive files. (I used one of those back-ups once.)
Meanwhile, I've become aware that the rest of my pages need to be run
through a validator. Turns up a lot of typos.

I still wonder how a validator can detect a mismatch between the
character declaration and the characters when all the charsets are
backwards-compatible and there isn't one non-ASCII character in the
file, but saying "charset=UTF-8" makes it happy. When I get time,
I'll copy that line to all the other pages.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://www.debeeson.net/joy/
The above message is a Usenet post.

dorayme

http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/~roughsewing/HandSew.htm

This should reminds us of a significant difference between how
browsers handle images specified in the HTML but which cannot be
found. Some types of browsers, Safari, iCab, Opera, show spaces
allotted in the HTML, others like Firefox do not.

This is mirrored by the consequences of of user disabling of images.
In Safari, if a user disables images, this can result in large gaps
between the text, whereas in FF, a menu item to do the same, collapses
the spaces alloted.

Denis McMahon

At least Comcast's PWP space is still a good place to stash off-site
backups of non-sensitive files. (I used one of those back-ups once.)
Meanwhile, I've become aware that the rest of my pages need to be run
through a validator. Turns up a lot of typos.

You could double check that the HandSewF directory has been created and
contains the image files on the comcast site. It seems that comcast is
serving up a 404 page for both the individual image files and their
containing directory when requested directly, normally I'd expect either
the index file if one is present, or failing that a directory listing or
a forbidden result when trying to access a dir, not a 404.