unable to debug web service project

moondaddy

I have a VS 2008 solution which has a .net 2.0 winforms app that was just
upgraded from VS 2003 .net 1.1. It also has a web service project .net 2.0.
when I try to debug by stepping from the winforms app into a web service I
get the error:

Unable to Automatically Step Into the Server

I looked at the documentation and I've done everything listed such as
setting debug=true in the web.config file.

However, if I just run the ws app, I can debug with in it. I just cant step
from the winform app into the ws. any ideas how I can resolve this?

Thanks.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Moondaddy,

From your description, I understand you're using VS 2008 to develope a
solution containing a .NET 2.0 winform and ASPX webservcie project.
However, you found that the winform project can not step into the
webservice project when debugging, correct?

yes, steping through from winform to the callee webservice project(in same
solution) should be workable. To make the problem more concentrate, I would
suggest you try the following things:

** Try a new solution(with a winform and webservice projects) that are
purely created from VS 2008 to see whether it suffers the problem.

** Try creating a simpilfied VS 2003 one and convert it to VS 2008 projects
to see whether the same behavior occur.

This just help confirm whether it is a common issue or whethe it only
occurs on converted projects.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any other findings.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------

moondaddy

Thanks Steven,

I wasn't able to find the problem. So for each project I originally created
in 1.1 and upgraded to 2.0, I created a new project in 2.0 and copied in all
the classes and components into it. that seemed to work. there must have
been some internal pluming left over from the 1.1 conversion that VS didn't
like.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Moondaddy,

Yes, such problems is mostly caused some settings reserved from old project
and the new IDE may not work quite well with them. So start with a new
project and add stuff usually fix it. Anyway, glad that you no longer
suffer the problem.

From: "moondaddy" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: unable to debug web service project
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 22:33:29 -0500