Unable to generate a temporary class

Jason Barnett

I followed the article for "[creating] a service account for an ASP.NET 2.0
application" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff649309.aspx).
However, when I run my application I receive the error message "Unable to
generate a temporary class".

I've tried implementing a custom account to use as the Identity for a
separate Application Pool, because I need the application to connect to an
SQL Server database on a separate server using Windows Authentication.

I've read articles suggesting that granting limited permissions on
C:\WINNT\Temp will work. It does, but the permissions are cleared out after
a few hours. I work for a very large company, which controls security on the
system folders from a separate IT group up the corporate chain.

I've thought of trying to reconfigure IIS so that it points to a different
directory, which I'm allowed to control. Is it possible to reconfigure the
Temp direcotry that IIS is using? If so, how?

Any other suggestions for getting my application to work would be greatly
appreciated.

For what it's worth, I'm running a ASP.NET 2.0 application on Windows Server
2003, and pointing to an SQL Server 2005 database on a separate Windows
Server 2003 server.

Jason Barnett

I discovered how to change the temporary folder location. I added the
following to my machine.config file:

<system.xml.serialization>
<xmlSerializer checkDeserializeAdvances = "false" tempFilesLocation =
"C:\Temp\" />
</system.xml.serialization>

Jason Barnett

Apparently there's more to it than just changing machine.config. My
application also uses the ReportViewer control (in local mode) and when
rendering the report the application crashed because it was looking for a
file in C:\WINNT\Temp. I had to change the value of the TMP system
environment variable to get it working.