unable to open Excel file

Riya Rai

i am using below code for opening Excel application.
But it not opening Excel file.

Code:-
require 'win32ole'

excel = WIN32OLE.new("excel.application")
excel.visible = true
workbook = excel.workbooks.open("c:\\temp.xls")
worksheet=workbook.worksheets(1)

i just want to open a excel file and write text in it.kindly help me.

Thanks in Advance

Aldric Giacomoni

Riya said:
i am using below code for opening Excel application.
But it not opening Excel file.

Code:-
require 'win32ole'

excel = WIN32OLE.new("excel.application")
excel.visible = true
workbook = excel.workbooks.open("c:\\temp.xls")
worksheet=workbook.worksheets(1)

i just want to open a excel file and write text in it.kindly help me.

Thanks in Advance
I recommend 'gem install spreadsheet' ... http://spreadsheet.rubyforge.org/

HTH,

--Aldric

David Mullet

Riya said:
i am using below code for opening Excel application.
But it not opening Excel file.

Code:-
require 'win32ole'

excel = WIN32OLE.new("excel.application")
excel.visible = true
workbook = excel.workbooks.open("c:\\temp.xls")
worksheet=workbook.worksheets(1)

i just want to open a excel file and write text in it.kindly help me.

Thanks in Advance

You'll need to provide more details.

What happens when you run this code?
Does the Excel window appear?
Do you receive an error?

Do you have Excel installed on that PC?
Does the workbook already exist? Or are you looking to create a new
workbook?

These links may help:

http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com/2007/03/automating-excel-with-ruby-workbook.html

http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com/search/label/excel

David

Riya Rai

Hi David,

What happens when you run this code?
Does the Excel window appear?
Do you receive an error?
Do you have Excel installed on that PC?
Does the workbook already exist? Or are you looking to create a new
workbook?
Problem - unable to open Excel with this code.
Want to open (visible) and want to write text and then save.

Thanks
Riya

Mohit Sindhwani

Riya,

Not sure if this is the problem but your code is:

excel = WIN32OLE.new("excel.application")

On David's site, the line is:

excel = WIN32OLE::new('excel.Application')

Notice the capital A in Application; however, in irb on my PC, it works
irrespective of the case. So, that's probably not the problem. What
version of Excel is installed on the PC on which you are running the
code? Do you get any other errors at all?

Could you try going line by line in irb to see if it dies anywhere?

Cheers,
Mohit.
12/30/2008 | 3:24 PM.

Riya Rai