Updating Application Settings

Guest

Hi,

Without using a database, what is the best way to store application settings
that need to be updated by a webmaster? I would like to provide a
configuration screen for the webmasters who use my asp.net application. The
application does not use a database so I cannot store values there.
Currently, webmasters edit the web.config file to change settings, however
this application is about to be marketed towards non technical business
owners that will need to use a web page to administer this application.

Please, could someone recommend to me a new way to save my application
settings other than editing the web.config by hand?

Thanks!

Karl Seguin

Well, I'd still use an XML file and simply write a webpage that interfaces
to that. You can use the web-config for this, or create your own xml file.
Make sure that if you write your own, you cache the results since you don't
want to load up and parse the xml file each time you need a value.

Karl

Juan T. Llibre

There's commercial products that let you do that.

HunterStone's Web.config Editor is one.

https://www.hunterstone.com/hsstore/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=112

But, why pay good money for something you can slap together yourself ?

Write your own web.config editor, following the instructions at :

http://aspalliance.com/82

Disclaimer : if your application is going to be "marketed towards non technical
business owners that will need to use a web page to administer this application"
they are going to mess up the application in more ways than you can think of.

Make sure you allocate a lot of support time for it.

Guest

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the response. I will have my webpage save data to an XML file.
I appreciate the tip.

Guest

Hi Juan,

I agree that I'ld rather slap something quickly together myself, but I'll
still check out that commercial link. Hhaha, I can only imagine the problems
I'll get from this, but hopefully I can handle it. It's only a two page
site: 1 for configuring settings with 3 text boxes, and then another page to
display the results. Very very basic.

Anyways, thanks again for the advice.