upgrade 1.9 then Missing an installed Rails gem?

Arthur Chan

Hi Guys,

I've installed both ruby 1.8 and 1.9.

When I run a newly created rails app, it keep asking me to install 2.3.5
rails.

However, I've installed it. Moreover, after I uninstall and re-install,
the problems still exists.

Here is my console log:

arthur:~/workspace/test/test2$ ruby script/server
Missing the Rails 2.3.5 gem. Please `gem install -v=2.3.5 rails`, update
your RAILS_GEM_VERSION setting in config/environment.rb for the Rails
version you do have installed, or comment out RAILS_GEM_VERSION to use
the latest version installed.
arthur:~/workspace/test/test2$ gem list

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

actionmailer (2.3.5)
actionpack (2.3.5)
activerecord (2.3.5)
activeresource (2.3.5)
activesupport (2.3.5)
authlogic (2.1.3)
authlogic-oid (1.0.4)
capistrano (2.5.10)
chronic (0.2.3)
daemons (1.0.10)
eventmachine (0.12.10)
facebooker (1.0.55)
geokit (1.5.0)
gettext (2.1.0)
gettext_activerecord (2.1.0)
gettext_rails (2.1.0)
highline (1.5.1)
hoe (2.3.3)
json (1.2.0)
json_pure (1.2.0)
locale (2.0.5)
locale_rails (2.0.5)
mail (1.3.0)
mime-types (1.16)
mysql (2.8.1)
net-scp (1.0.2)
net-sftp (2.0.4)
net-ssh (2.0.16)
net-ssh-gateway (1.0.1)
polyglot (0.2.9)
rack (1.0.1)
rails (2.3.5)
rake (0.8.7)
ruby-openid (2.1.7)
rubyforge (2.0.3)
rubygems-update (1.3.5)
thin (1.2.5)
tlsmail (0.0.1)
treetop (1.4.2)

Thanks!
Arthur

Arthur Chan

Brian said:
ruby 1.8 and 1.9 will have their own entirely separate installations of
gems.

So "gem list" is probably the 1.8 gem command. You need to run the other
gem command for 1.9: maybe "gem19 list" or "/opt/ruby19/bin/gem list",
or wherever you installed ruby 1.9 to (remembering that you have to
install rubygems for ruby 1.9 as well)

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your help.

I've removed the whole rubygems and reinstall it using 1.9.

It works now! (of course, I am not sure if ruby 1.8's gem still
works...)

Arthur