Upgrading Website From VS2003 to VS2005

Guest

So far it's the same as asp>>asp.net and VB>>VB.NET. In other words, after a
day of struggling it gets harder to make the business case, not easier.

Or have I got something completely wrong? Would someone please tell me that
it's a walk in the park? But, if that's so then what's the secret? Is there
a step-by-step that really, really, works?

Jeb.

Karl Seguin [MVP]

I found the upgrade wizard does a good job. Although I can imagine it not
going as smoothly for larger projects. Of course, for such large projects,
I'd expect 80% of your code to be in your domain layer which should work
as-is (you might get a couple obsolete warnings).

I've found that the difficulty in upgrading from 2003 --> 2005 isn't as much
with the code as it is with the developer. Specifically, the new deploymnet
model is a pain. Thankfully there are project templates available from
Microsoft that make it work like it does (and should), ala 2003.

Karl

Erik Funkenbusch

So far it's the same as asp>>asp.net and VB>>VB.NET. In other words, after a
day of struggling it gets harder to make the business case, not easier.

Or have I got something completely wrong? Would someone please tell me that
it's a walk in the park? But, if that's so then what's the secret? Is there
a step-by-step that really, really, works?

Frankly, I didn't have any trouble upgrading more than 30 applications to
ASP.NET 2.0 from 1.1. There are, however, going to be exceptions. It all
depends on how you designed your applications, and how much "internal" sort
of things you might be doing.

It might help if you could describe some of your problems.

Guest

This is helpful. I must be doing something wrong. I've given up on this
one, but maybe next time...