Urgent Help Needed

Echo

I'm having major issues with a program I'm working on. It's the first
big program I've ever actually worked on. When I say big, it's the
ammount of code, very long for me. Anyways, the .java files are listed
here:

http://randompostsftp.dontexist.com/

Bsically, the program is a "fake" web forum. It is a Java application
and does not use the web in any way. It has predetermined replies in
arrays within the code. The problem I'm having, is that when I goto
reply in the first post about the first topic, everything works fine.
But whenever I post in the first post of the second topic, it lets me
post only a few times, not to the maximum that the array can contain.
Will some one please take a look at my classes and see what is wrong.
I have to have this program complete by next Monday, and this time line
includes me having to write the term paper about it also. It has been
driving me crazy. Please offer any ideas or suggestions. Please don't
tell me about creating a gui for it or rewrite an entire section of
code. I only have four more nights to work on this. My problem is
probably something I just overlooked, but please help me. I've pulled
my hair out so much about this problem, I'm almost bald. To find the
error, just type 1, 1, 1, any message, 2, 6, 2, 1, 1, (any
message*anything less than 10). Thank you for your time and effort.

Luc The Perverse

Echo said:
[...]

Have you considered a paysite like rentacoder.com ? (There are others, but I
don't know them by name)

The problem may be something simple, but looking through a giant program to
try to find bugs is not my idea of fun :) Maybe someone else feels
different.

Benji

In comp.lang.java.programmer Luc The Perverse said:
Have you considered a paysite like rentacoder.com ? (There are others, but I
don't know them by name)

Pretty sure that would defeat the point of doing schoolwork...paying someone
else to do it for you. =P

Which brings me to another point...I don't think this is a good use of
newsgroups. Generally you want to ask questions that are of use to other
people who might search the newsgroup...or something that you can't get an
answer to yourself very easily for whatever reason.

Your problem seems to be that you just need to debug the program. Throw
in println statements to make sure that your assumptions about the code
are correct...if you know exactly what causes the error, then you should
be able to figure the problem out.

Echo

I've already tried these things with no good results. I've tried
debugging it in many ways, but nothing comes up to help me find the
problem. I understand that I shouldn't really put this on a newsgroup,
but I'm so frustarted with this, I'm about to chuck my comp. out a 10
story buliding.

Rhino

Echo said:
I've already tried these things with no good results. I've tried
debugging it in many ways, but nothing comes up to help me find the
problem. I understand that I shouldn't really put this on a newsgroup,
but I'm so frustarted with this, I'm about to chuck my comp. out a 10
story buliding.
Have you tried any of the following:
- asking your prof?
- asking any teaching assistant your prof might have?
- asking a friend in the class?

---

Another technique that I (and others) have found very useful is to describe
the problem carefully, and in detail, to someone else. It doesn't even have
to be a live person sitting in front of you: I've found this technique
successful on several occasions when I ran out of ideas for solving a
problem. I just start to write a detailed newsgroup post describing my
problem.

Sometimes I have to write quite a bit and it takes a while, other times not.
For some reason, the act of describing the problem to someone else, even the
unknown someones who might answer a newsgroup post, often clarifies the
problem in my head and I think of something to try which didn't occur to me
before. It's a bit magical and I don't really know why it works so often but
it usually does. And even if you don't think of anything new to try, you
have a clear, detailed explanation of the problem to post which often gets
you a clear, detailed solution or at least some suggestions about what you
could try to resolve the problem.

You may think this is a far-out idea but it really isn't. If you're as
desperate as you sound, and you can't get any help from your prof or
classmates, you should really give the idea a try. It'll probably work for
you.

By the way, if you're really as frustrated as you say, a short break can do
a world of good in helping your head clear. Go for a walk, listen to a
favourite CD, or whatever relieves stress for you. Then tackle your problem
again.

Rhino

Luc The Perverse

Benji said:
In comp.lang.java.programmer Luc The Perverse

Pretty sure that would defeat the point of doing schoolwork...paying
someone
else to do it for you. =P

As does having people in a NG do it for free.

Difference is, you get better response from a paysite :)

Bryce

I'm having major issues with a program I'm working on. It's the first
big program I've ever actually worked on. When I say big, it's the
ammount of code, very long for me. Anyways, the .java files are listed
here:

As others have said, we can't debug your program for you, but we can
give you advice. The problem is, you don't give us any specifics. You
show us a bunch of code, and don't tell us the problem.

My advice is this: Try to isolate the problem to a single
Class/function. Use a debugger or System.out.println()'s to help
isolate if you have to. Or, start from scratch, and write just enough
code to compile and execute. Add some more, compile and execute...

If you come across a specific problem, then post here.