Use of [ ] for button links.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Michael Wilcox

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I am wondering whether the use of [] helps graphic browsers and
therefore search engines like Google to index a page.

If it makes any difference, it's probably better to leave them out. An aural
browser might try to pronouce them, unless you suggested otherwise with an
aural stylesheet. Chances are they won't confuse Google or graphical browser
user.

Steve R.

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote in message ...
I am wondering whether the use of [] helps ...

Sometimes when the words are in a line, such as ..

[Home] [Welcome] [Products] [About Us] [Contact] then it helps to separate
the menu items visually, but as you have them in a column I think they look
worse and they are not required.

jake

Michael said:
Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I am wondering whether the use of [] helps graphic browsers and
therefore search engines like Google to index a page.

If it makes any difference, it's probably better to leave them out. An aural
browser might try to pronouce them, unless you suggested otherwise with an
aural stylesheet. Chances are they won't confuse Google or graphical browser
user.

My screen reader/voice browser (HPR) will not pronounce the brackets
*providing there is no space* between the bracket and the letter; it
will pronounce 'left bracket' 'right bracket' is there are spaces.

i.e. [hello] [there] ......... hello there

[(sp)hello(sp) [sp)there(sp)] .... left bracket hello right bracket
left bracket there right bracket

...... but that's only one reader out of many. What JAWS,HAL,
Window-Eyes, etc. would do, I can't say.

You'd be safer not doing this.

regards.

Toby A Inkster

Michael said:
Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I am wondering whether the use of [] helps graphic browsers and
therefore search engines like Google to index a page.

If it makes any difference, it's probably better to leave them out.

I'd argue the opposite personally -- it is good to put some type of
printable character between each link.
An aural browser might try to pronouce them, unless you suggested
otherwise with an aural stylesheet.

OTOH, many people using browsers that don't underline links (or a style
sheet with underlining of links switched off) will not be able to see
where one link begins and another ends.

For example:

Pepperoni Pizza Pie

How many foods are linked to? What are they?

[Pepperoni] [Pizza] [Pie]
[Pepperoni Pizza] [Pie]
[Pepperoni] [Pizza Pie]
[Pepperoni Pizza Pie]

jake

Toby A said:
Michael said:
Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I am wondering whether the use of [] helps graphic browsers and
therefore search engines like Google to index a page.

If it makes any difference, it's probably better to leave them out.

I'd argue the opposite personally -- it is good to put some type of
printable character between each link.

The use of "|" (or 'bar' as my reader speaks it) is becoming pretty much
a 'de facto' menu item divider.
An aural browser might try to pronouce them, unless you suggested
otherwise with an aural stylesheet.

OTOH, many people using browsers that don't underline links (or a style
sheet with underlining of links switched off) will not be able to see
where one link begins and another ends.

For example:

Pepperoni Pizza Pie

How many foods are linked to? What are they?

[Pepperoni] [Pizza] [Pie]
[Pepperoni Pizza] [Pie]
[Pepperoni] [Pizza Pie]
[Pepperoni Pizza Pie]
Pepperoni | Pizza | Pie ...............'pepperoni bar pizza bar pie'
Pepperoni Pizza | Pie ................. 'pepperoni pizza bar pie'

Of course, if the user prefers to ask for a 'list of links' to peruse at
their leisure, it's not really an issue ;-)

regards.