Using Custom Membership/Role Providers?

Bill

I was hoping someone might give me a push in the right direction. I have a
need for membership and roles on a new website/application being built using
ASP.NET 2.0. I have researched the new membership & roles functionality as
well as the profile functionality.

The application needs to do a few things that are different from the basic
functionality:

1. Roles/SubRoles - users can have different roles for different site
sections (admin user for section #1, standard user for section #2)

2. Expanded User Data (more than Name, Email, etc.)

3. Integration with other database objects ("user id" will need to be stored
in other tables.)

I'm a little confused on where to start:

Use the SqlProvider, adding the structures to my current database and seeing
if I can extend them?

Write a custom provider? (if this is the case can anyone provide some good
vb.net examples?)

Some other solution? Am I missing something obvious?

Can anyone point me in the right direction, I don't need the work done for
me - just some information and a push on where to look.

Thanks,
Bill

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Bill,

look at a recent thread called ""ASP.NET 2.0 Membership Provider Customization""

baseline: it is not easy to extend the providers - maybe a library written
by yourself which does exactly what you want is less work.

Bill

Thanks Dominick - indeed it looks like that thread shares a similar problem
with mine (although I wish there was an easier answer.)

When you refer to a custom library - in your mind - does that entail
rewriting all the login, reset password, recover password, etc "controls" or
just extending what is there? Does the built in "provider" get upset if you
alter the default datastructures?

I suppose I could use the login, reset & recover pw controls and simply
create a new Create User Wizard (with more details, linked to the user table)
and a new role management system (with more depth.) That way I get my level
of detail w/o reinventing the entire wheel. See any pitfalls there?

Thanks again for your input.
Bill

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Bill,

i think you can try extending the sql membership provider - keep in mind
that you should have transactional integrity between the base implemenation
and your extended data. System.Transactions in 2.0 makes this possible.

Regarding the roles - i do not see a easy solution for that.