Using images with the ASP.NET 2.0 menu control

Carl Gilbert

Hi

Could someone please advise on the best method to achieve the following.

I want a flat menu which uses images rather than text for each menu item.
All items will have the same image regardless of selected page or hover. To
the left of the menu item I want to display another image (a 6px dot) 10 to
15 px from the menu item; I will use one colour image for the current page
and another colour image for the hover item. No image will be shown for
other menu items.
The hover should not show an image to the left of the menu item for the
current page menu item, also (preferably) the cursor should not change to
the hand cursor for the current page menu item.

I've tried putting the image URL in the web.sitemap but this didn't work. I
then tried creating the menu items within the menu tag; this works for the
images for the menu items but I seem to be struggling with the images to the
left of the hover and current page items.
I have tried using CSS by specifying a class for static hover and static
menu item but this didn't really work. Most of the time the image didn't
show. If it did, then it was either in the wrong position or for some
reason showed up twice. Furthermore, every time I moved the mouse across
the menu items it re-grabs the image from the server, therefore if you move
the cursor across the menu items repeatedly then you can see the status bar
whizzing through the image downloads. Not nice.

I'm using .NET 2.0 and as such would like to make use of the asp menu and
CSS but I can't see a way of achieving what I want without resorting to good
old html.

I can upload an image of what I would like the menu to look like if that
would help. I'm not looking for someone to write it for me, I just want to
know if this can be achieved with the asp.net 2.0 menu and possible CSS. I
wouldn't say no to an example though. Making use of the sitemap could be
good but I can't image that would be possible.

Regards, Carl Gilbert