Using Starter Kits - Please help

Guest

I am having a problem installing the starter kits. I have reinstalled VS
2005, think that might be the problem. I then installed both 'Personal
Website" and the "Club Website" starter kits. I still have the same problem.
Any web starter kit that is installed under 'My Templates" does not allow
you to enter the location directory or use the browse button. Neither the
"Personal Website" or the "Club Website" allows you to select the location.
However, there is a "Personal Website" under the VS installed templates, and
it work okay. It appears any starter kit project placed under "My Templates"
for Web projects do not allow the selection of the location. Starter kits
under "My Templates" for Window projects seem to be working.

The PC (Windows XP) I am using also has VS 2003 installed. It also have SQL
Server 2000 and IIS. Could these be causing a problem?

What I don't understand is what would disable the location text box and the
browse button in these templates.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to fix this problem.

Guest

I was not getting any suggestions from my post on this site, so I contacted
Microsoft. They responded with a list of 5 things to try. I appreciate
their help, but I still have the same problem. On the web starter kits
located under "My Templates", when I go to create a new web project, the
Location and Browse button to select a location are grayed out (disabled).

Please, anyone with any suggestions? What would disable the location
textbox and button in the starter kits?

Here are the suggestion from Microsoft which did not work.

I suspect that the problem might be caused by user profile corruption.
Please try the steps below:

1. Disable Antivirus programs temporarily.
2. Start VS.NET in the safe mode by using "devenv.exe /safemode
/resetskippkgs" and see if the problem occurs.
3. Rename HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0. For
example, you can change it to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Backup80. Renaming this
registry is because it consists of user settings of Visual Studio 2005 for
the current user. After renaming the registry, try to launch VS.NET again and
build the solution in it.

4. Test VS.NET in a clean boot state and see if the same problem
occurs. For more information, please look at the following article: Q310353
"How to Perform a clean boot in Windows XP" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310353

5. Create a new admin account and log in using this new user account
and test VS.NET 2005.

By the way, Don, we only provide community support to those Starter Kits. If
you encounter any problem with them in the future, I’d suggest you to try
this one:

http://forums.asp.net/default.aspx?GroupID=2