Using Web application with Profile

Oriane

Hi there,

I would like to open my Asp.Net project as a "Web Application" rather than
as a "Web Site" in Visual Studio.
But the thing is that I use the System.Web.Profile and the auto-generated
class "ProfileCommon myApp.Profile", which provides me with type profile
properties. And the fact is that this generated class is not generated with
Web app...

For ex, in the web site project, if "X" is a profile Property, I can write:
using System.Web.Profile;
Profile.X = "nnnn";

However I could use some code like this in the web application project:
Membership.ApplicationName = "myApp";
ProfileBase userpf = ProfileBase.Create(userName); // the current
user name
// Value ot the "X" profile property
string valeur = userpf.GetPropertyValue("X").ToString();

The thing is that I don't have the current user name, although I could save
in a hidden field for instance after the user has logged in the login page
(this is of course a form authentication app).

In that case, will it work ?

Is there anything more straightforward to convert my VStudio web site
project in a VStudio web app project ?

Regards

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Oriane,

As for using Profile in Web Application Project, the dev team do have
noticed this issue and have produced some add-on component for generating a
helper Profile class in WEb application project, you can have a look at the
"Web Profile Builder":

#Web Profile Builder
http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/WebProfileBuilder

#Web Profile Builder for Web Application Projects
http://weblogs.asp.net/joewrobel/archive/2008/02/03/web-profile-builder-for-
web-application-projects.aspx

In addition, the method you used(manually use HttpContext.Profile class to
manipulate profile) is also a good approach. And for the "Username" issue
you mentioned, I think you can use the following method to get the current
username(for the profile):

=====================

Response.Write("<br/>current profile username: " +
Context.Profile.UserName);
}
==================

this works even for anonymous user(will give you the auto-generated guid
for the anonymous user).

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

--------------------

Oriane

Hi Steven,
Steven Cheng said:
Hi Oriane,

As for using Profile in Web Application Project, the dev team do have
noticed this issue and have produced some add-on component for generating
helper Profile class in WEb application project, you can have a look at
the
"Web Profile Builder":

#Web Profile Builder
http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/WebProfileBuilder

#Web Profile Builder for Web Application Projects
http://weblogs.asp.net/joewrobel/archive/2008/02/03/web-profile-builder-for-
web-application-projects.aspx
Thanks for your answer. However, I had a glimpse on this page:
http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/archive/2008/01/19/writing-a-custom-asp-net-profile-class.aspx,
and I find this solution convenient to me.

Best regards

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Oriane,

Thanks for your followup. I'm glad that you've also found the solution and
share this with us.

Have a good day!

Subject: Re: Using Web application with Profile
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 13:54:37 +0200