VHDL Books

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Unibus, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. Unibus

    Unibus Guest

    I have the problem with the selection of a suitable book for learning
    VHDL. I've Googled, looked at the Amazon reviews, checked out the FPGA
    groups and still don't have a satisfactory answer.

    I've done chip level work on mainframes, maintained microprogramed and
    state machines (if you accept DEC LA180 printers), done some small
    design work, like the Mick & Brick bit-slice text, have manufacturer's
    data books, etc. Played with network protocols for some years so my
    reference library has the standard Cisco texts, Stevens' TCP/IP
    Illustrated, etc. Can write microcode if somebody twists my arm. I
    don't need the standard introductory material that is required for the
    target audience of some books. Alternatively I'm not looking for a
    cookbook that has lots of fragments. I would not be approaching VHDL as
    a 'computer' language for hardware but as a tool to implement logic if
    that makes sense. Hence my problem of buying a book sight unseen is the
    contradictory reviews.

    Anyone have some thoughts?

    Regards,
    Garry

    Unibus, Aug 23, 2004

  2. VHDL synthesis code is an implementable description of logic,
    but it can only be produced efficiently while interacting with
    a simulator program running non-implementable testbench code.
    So consider getting a simulator first to try out examples.
    Aldec, modelsim or sonata would be fine.

    And you might need more than one book.

    For synthesis code, consider Rushton
    http://www.google.com/search?q=ISBN+047198325X

    For a complete language reference, consider Ashenden
    http://www.google.com/search?q=ISBN+1558606742

    An interesting side-trip is Barnes on ADA,
    the language that VHDL is based on.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=ISBN+0201342936

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Aug 23, 2004

  3. Unibus

    Alex Gibson Guest

    Have a look at confluence , may be of interest to you as well.
    http://www.confluent.org/

    Alex Gibson, Aug 26, 2004