VHDL Floating Point Multiplier

Joined
Jan 9, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,

I have a project which needs me to create a VHDL code for a floating point multiplier using Quartus II.

As we know, the floating point can be represented in binary in 32 bits: 1 sign bit, 8 exponent bits and 23 mantissa bits.

The multiplier will need to accept two inputs: A and B.

The hints given for this project is that I need to create an adder for the exponent and a multiplier for the mantissa.

I'm required to create my own multiplier. Creating a 23 bit multiplier for the mantissa is possible..but not easy. I'm confused whether should I use the shift method or the array method for the multiplication.

Besides that, do I really need to create a 23 bit multiplier just for the mantissa? Or is there any shorter way?

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!