Virtual Directories under Default Web Site no longer working

Guest

I have a small application that initially loads two .net dlls and the app can
run with .NET 1.1 or .NET 2.0. On 32-bit machines I am able to run these
apps as a virtual directory under the Default Web Site. On 64-bit machines I
get an error loading the dlls: "Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or
namespace name <name> could not be found (are you missing a using directive
or an assembly reference?)" when trying to run as a virtual directory under
the Default Web Site.

It works with no problem if I create a separate Web Site (but still use the
Default App Pool). This is fine, but can someone explain to my why this is
the case? I have tried explicity setting the .net version at the virtual
dir. level under the Default Web Site(aspnet_regiis.exe -s
W3SVC/1/ROOT/myapp) for 1.1. and 32-bit 2.0 and also 64-bit 2.0 doesn't even
work.

When I run as a separate website my app works no problem with just 64-bit
..NET 2.0

The dll's I'm trying to load were built with vs2003.

Guest

You cannot run .net 1.1 and .net 2.0 apps in the same process. They have to
be in configured in separate app pool. This is by design.
HTH

Guest

I'm not running both in the same process. I was running one or the other.
Even setting IIS to use the 64 bit .NET 2.0 framework, I cannot run the app
as a virtual directory, but the same app works as a separate web site.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
You cannot run .net 1.1 and .net 2.0 apps in the same process.

Only if you're using Windows 2003 Server.
If you're using any other OS, it's OK to run them in the same process.

Guest

Please note I am able to replicate the behavior in 64 bit win2k3 as well as
64 bit XP

Guest

Does anyone have any idea. On windows 2003 64 bit, i am running ASP.NET 2.0
in 64bit mode only. The same app runs fine as it's own website but not as a
virtual directory under the Default Website. The settings look identical.