VS.NET 2005 & Vista problems?

brett

I installed VS.NET 2005 final on Vista Ultimate RTM. I have a web
project that I'd like open but receive this message:

The project file 'c:\myproj.csproj' cannot be opened.
The project type is not supported by this installation.

I then downloaded and installed the web application support for VS.NET
2005:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...00-9554-4733-8725-3CA89DD9BFCA&displaylang=en.
Still same error.

I copied this web project from an XP machine, where it worked fine.
The version in VS.NET on XP and Vista are exactly the same. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brett

Guest

VS is telling you it doens't have C# installed. Check if it is and if so,
repair the installation as some of the registration has failed.

Mark Rae

I copied this web project from an XP machine, where it worked fine.
The version in VS.NET on XP and Vista are exactly the same. Any ideas?

Visual Studio.NET 2005 is not guaranteed to work on Vista, and is not
currently supported by Microsoft on that platform. It will not even be
officially supported on Vista when SP1 is released in the next few weeks.

This situation will remain until around February 2007 when Microsoft intend
to release an upgrade patch to VS.NET 2005, after which they will support it
on Vista.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa948853.aspx

Mark Rae

Does this mean your completely locked out of using VS.NET 2005 in
Vista?

It largely depends on what you're doing. There is a good chance that simple
projects will work OK, but there's also a chance that they won't. I make my
living almost exlusively with VS.NET 2005, so that simply isn't an option
for me.

Microsoft's suggested temporary "solution" is to install Virtual PC 2007
beta, build a Windows XP machine, and run VS.NET 2005 on that until they've
patched it sufficiently where they're prepared to support it on Vista.
Again, that's not a realistic option for me, as I spend at least 80% of my
computing time using VS.NET 2005.

I'll be sticking with WinXP Pro on my development machine for a while - I
just can't take the risk. As predominantly an ASP.NET developer, Vista
offers me almost no advantage over WinXP Pro anyway...
Has any one been able to use it in Vista?

I have an nVidia GeForce 6800 graphics card, so I can hardly even run Vista
itself, let alone anything installed on it... :-(

brett

Mark said:
[...]

Thanks. Do you know anything about Orcas compatibility with Vista?

Brett

Mark Rae

Thanks. Do you know anything about Orcas compatibility with Vista?

No different, AFAIU. Vista already has .NET 3, so there's very little
difference as far as VS.NET is concerned.