VS.NET 2008 beta testers: anyone else getting thousands of   strings on design view change?

Ken Fine

I am using VS.NET 2008 and like it a lot. One of the very few things I don't
like is a bug that seems to spawn literally thousands of   strings, one
after the other, on design view changes. Sometimes I will end up with as
many as 30,000 of them. I have to do a "Replace" which is slower than I'd
like. This is slowing down my work a lot.

This might be related to a commercial control I'm using, or it may just be
VS.NET's indentation getting mangled badly.

Is this happening to anyone else? Is there are workarounds (e.g. turning
off some aspect of automatic code formatting ?)

-KF

Michael Nemtsev, MVP

Hello Ken,

Could you describe the sequence which reproduce this bug?
Btw, u can submit your bug there http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=82610&clcid=409

---
WBR,

KF> I am using VS.NET 2008 and like it a lot. One of the very few things
KF> I don't like is a bug that seems to spawn literally thousands of
KF>   strings, one after the other, on design view changes.
KF> Sometimes I will end up with as many as 30,000 of them. I have to do
KF> a "Replace" which is slower than I'd like. This is slowing down my
KF> work a lot.
KF>
KF> This might be related to a commercial control I'm using, or it may
KF> just be VS.NET's indentation getting mangled badly.
KF>
KF> Is this happening to anyone else? Is there are workarounds (e.g.
KF> turning off some aspect of automatic code formatting ?)
KF>
KF> -KF

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi KF,

First, I should thank you for using the Visual Studio 2008 beta product and
share your experience with us. Though it is still under beta, it's quite
important to get feedback from community and consumers, I'm also interested
in the problem you met, would you give some further info on this such as a
complete steps to repro it? I can also have a test in my local test
environment.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 02:56:51 +0000 (UTC)
From: Michael Nemtsev, MVP <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: VS.NET 2008 beta testers: anyone else getting thousands of
  strings on design view change?
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Hello Ken,

Could you describe the sequence which reproduce this bug?
Btw, u can submit your bug there http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=82610&clcid=409

---
WBR,

KF> I am using VS.NET 2008 and like it a lot. One of the very few things
KF> I don't like is a bug that seems to spawn literally thousands of
KF>   strings, one after the other, on design view changes.
KF> Sometimes I will end up with as many as 30,000 of them. I have to do
KF> a "Replace" which is slower than I'd like. This is slowing down my
KF> work a lot.
KF>
KF> This might be related to a commercial control I'm using, or it may
KF> just be VS.NET's indentation getting mangled badly.
KF>
KF> Is this happening to anyone else? Is there are workarounds (e.g.
KF> turning off some aspect of automatic code formatting ?)
KF>
KF> -KF

Ken Fine

It is my pleasure to use VS.NET in beta and it is extremly helpful for my
work that MSFT has made it available now.

The steps are very easy to reproduce:
1) I'm utilizing this control: http://www.amarantin.se/. Note that it may
not be the control's fault; it may be VS.NET's fault or my fault.
2) I'm using a page with MultiView/Views, ListView, and DataPager. Also a
few Telerik controls
3) In the aspx/ascx file, switch between design view and script view.
Bazillions of   characters are spawned quite regularly in the
transition.

I tried switching off code outlining. That did not help.

If you give me a few days, I will be able to come up with a more specific
and isolated bug report by testing the components individually.

In the short term, if someone could suggest a way to set up a key binding or
a macro in VS.NET to clean up this stuff quickly, that would really help me
out. If there is a way to force a faster search-and-destroy for the bad
characters, that would help too.

-KF

Steven Cheng said:
Hi KF,

First, I should thank you for using the Visual Studio 2008 beta product
and
share your experience with us. Though it is still under beta, it's quite
important to get feedback from community and consumers, I'm also
interested
in the problem you met, would you give some further info on this such as a
complete steps to repro it? I can also have a test in my local test
environment.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

rights.

--------------------
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 02:56:51 +0000 (UTC)
From: Michael Nemtsev, MVP <[email protected]>
  strings on design view change?
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Hello Ken,

Could you describe the sequence which reproduce this bug?
Btw, u can submit your bug there http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=82610&clcid=409

---
WBR,

KF> I am using VS.NET 2008 and like it a lot. One of the very few things
KF> I don't like is a bug that seems to spawn literally thousands of
KF>   strings, one after the other, on design view changes.
KF> Sometimes I will end up with as many as 30,000 of them. I have to do
KF> a "Replace" which is slower than I'd like. This is slowing down my
KF> work a lot.
KF>
KF> This might be related to a commercial control I'm using, or it may
KF> just be VS.NET's indentation getting mangled badly.
KF>
KF> Is this happening to anyone else? Is there are workarounds (e.g.
KF> turning off some aspect of automatic code formatting ?)
KF>
KF> -KF

Michael Nemtsev, MVP

Hello Ken,

yep, if only we have these components :)

However, are u using the latest version of your components?

---
WBR,

KF> It is my pleasure to use VS.NET in beta and it is extremly helpful
KF> for my work that MSFT has made it available now.
KF>
KF> The steps are very easy to reproduce:

Ken Fine

Yes, using the latest version.

The control can be downloaded and is fully functional: the only limit is
that a watermark appears on the resultant images. If you're interested, you
can test. Or, I will test more carefully in a few days.

It does not sound like this problem is widespread, so this may indeed be a
case of my control interacting badly with VS.NET.

-KF

Ken Fine

Just generated 53,000+ instances of the nasty character string by switching
back and forth three times between views. Ugh.

My instinct is that maybe if I turn off the right "code reformatting" option
in VS.NET, this issue may go away, but I'm not sure where to start...

-KF

Michael Nemtsev"; "MVP said:
Hello Ken,

yep, if only we have these components :)

However, are u using the latest version of your components?

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP] :: blog:
http://spaces.live.com/laflour
"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and
we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it" (c) Michelangelo

KF> It is my pleasure to use VS.NET in beta and it is extremly helpful
KF> for my work that MSFT has made it available now.
KF> KF> The steps are very easy to reproduce:

Ken Fine

Until I ID the vendor as the clear and unambiguous cause of this problem,
I'm not going to hassle them. You'll notice in my first post I didn't even
ID them; I didn't want to seem to cast blame without being sure. Steven
asked for the conditions that led to the error so I went ahead and added
more detail.

I was wondering if people are generally running into this issue. It sounds
as though they are not.

-KF

Ken Fine

I have found a passable workaround, though I still would prefer a faster
fix.

The workaround is to open the file in Notepad and use search/replace in NP,
which is nearly instantaneous. VS.NET will note the modification of the file
and prompt for reload. Repeat as necessary.

I would prefer a VS.NET key binding or something like that that called an
external process if necessary to clean up my file. Don't know if that is
possible.

-KF

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Ken Fine,

It seems the problem not quite easy to repro without using that vendor's
component. Have you been able to repro the same behavior through some
standard built-in controls? If not, I'm afraid it would be a bit harder to
dig it further or the dev team will also be unable to track on this.

From: "Ken Fine" <[email protected]>
  strings on design view change?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 00:16:02 -0700
Until I ID the vendor as the clear and unambiguous cause of this problem,
I'm not going to hassle them. You'll notice in my first post I didn't even
ID them; I didn't want to seem to cast blame without being sure. Steven
asked for the conditions that led to the error so I went ahead and added
more detail.

I was wondering if people are generally running into this issue. It sounds
as though they are not.

-KF

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Ken Fine,

How are you doing? Have you been able to repro the issue through some
standard controls or component in the VS 2008 IDE? If so, you can give me a
test page or send me a test project so that I can also perform some test on
my side.

From: "Ken Fine" <[email protected]>
  strings on design view change?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 00:16:02 -0700