VSTS and SQL 2005

Guest

What is the suggested install order. I've got SQL 2005 Dev Edition and VS
2005 for Devs. I don't want to install SQL 2005 Express. Do I install
VS2005 first or second?

I am trying to track down an error in ASP.NET Configuration (see my other
post on November 9)

Zack

Scott Allen

Personally, I did SQL 2005 first, followed by VS 2005 without SQL
Express.

All of the application services (membership, profile, health
monitoring) are configured to use a SQL Express database by default,
but it's easy to configure them to point to an aspnetdb in a regular
SQL instance.

Any help?

Guest

Scott,

Thanks. This is what I tried to do but not sure if I've missed a step.
Is this what you've done to get ASP.NET configuration to work?

I didn't install SQL Server Express 2005 when I installed VS 2005 Team Dev
Edition because I installed SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition. Now in VS2005
when I go to Website-> ASP.NET Configuration. I get an error page.

I've run "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727>aspnet_regsql.exe",
then went into
"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\machine.config" and
changed the LocalSqlServer to the connection information on this machine, but
I still get errors.

I'm assuming I just have the connection string information wrong. I don't
have to change it anywhere else do I?

Zack

Scott Allen

Hey Zack:

Now in VS2005
when I go to Website-> ASP.NET Configuration. I get an error page.

Hmm, what's the error?
I've run "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727>aspnet_regsql.exe",
then went into
"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\machine.config" and
changed the LocalSqlServer to the connection information on this machine, but
I still get errors.

I'm assuming I just have the connection string information wrong. I don't
have to change it anywhere else do I?

You changed the LocalSqlServer connection string entry, right?

Did you change the name of the connection string from LocalSqlServer
to something else? If so, you'll need to modify all the provider
sections to point to the modified connection string name.

If the name is the same, that should be the only place you need to
modify.

Guest

Scott,

I get the error page:

Server Error in '/asp.netwebadminfiles' Application. (It's a 401.2 error)

My machine.config page shows:

<connectionStrings>
<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="data
source=127.0.0.1;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|ZBASPNET.mdf;User
Instance=true; User ID=sa; Password=SQL2005Dev!"
providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
</connectionStrings>

Zack

Scott Allen

Server Error in '/asp.netwebadminfiles' Application. (It's a 401.2 error)

Oh, that would be an authorization failure. Do you have an
authorization section specified in your web.config that might be
keeping you out? Perhaps file permissions are set against you?