w3wp.exe and high CPU Load

Guest

Hello there,

one of my servers is running windows 2003 and IIS 6.0. We have big
performance issues on that server and I found out that a high CPU usage
iniciated by w3wp.exe causes the problem. I couldn't find out what to do on
the server itself. I think it must be the application runnig on IIS. Could a
MVP please confirm that this is mostly something that i caused by an
application. So that I can give it back to our developers.

Thanks

Kevin Spencer

w3wp.exe is the ASP.Net process, so if it is indeed using a lot of CPU, it
is the ASP.Net application that is causing it. However, this does not
necessarily indicate by itself that there is a problem with the ASP.Net
application. It is, of course, a service that may be serving many clients.
The only real measure is to check the CPU usage against the amount of
traffic being handled by the application.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP

http://www.miradyne.net

Michael Nemtsev, MVP

Hello tani,

What u can do i just make a dump of the process when is 100% loaded and inpect
the dump to understand what gone wrong

---
WBR,

t> Hello there,
t>
t> one of my servers is running windows 2003 and IIS 6.0. We have big
t> performance issues on that server and I found out that a high CPU
t> usage iniciated by w3wp.exe causes the problem. I couldn't find out
t> what to do on the server itself. I think it must be the application
t> runnig on IIS. Could a MVP please confirm that this is mostly
t> something that i caused by an application. So that I can give it back
t> to our developers.
t>
t> Thanks
t>

Guest

Thank you for your quick answer.
Which performance Counters would you recommend to find out how much traffic
is handled by the application itself.

Thanks again,

Guest

Thank you Michael,

I am a real newbie : how do I do a dump and do i need to install anything on
the server?

I would prefer setting up some perfmon counters if possible.

Michael Nemtsev, MVP

Hello tani,

I recommend u to read these 4 articles
http://www.codeproject.com/debug/windbg_part1.asp

---
WBR,

t> Thank you Michael,
t>
t> I am a real newbie : how do I do a dump and do i need to install
t> anything on the server?
t>
t> I would prefer setting up some perfmon counters if possible.
t>
"MVP" wrote: said:
Hello tani,

What u can do i just make a dump of the process when is 100% loaded
and inpect the dump to understand what gone wrong

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP] :: blog:
http://spaces.live.com/laflour
"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high
and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it" (c)
Michelangelo

t> Hello there,
t>
t> one of my servers is running windows 2003 and IIS 6.0. We have big
t> performance issues on that server and I found out that a high CPU
t> usage iniciated by w3wp.exe causes the problem. I couldn't find
out
t> what to do on the server itself. I think it must be the
application
t> runnig on IIS. Could a MVP please confirm that this is mostly
t> something that i caused by an application. So that I can give it
back
t> to our developers.
t>
t> Thanks

Guest

Thank you very much for your help.

I found a shareware tool that creates statistics based on IIS logs.
This is enough to pass the problem to our developers as it shows that the
server has a high CPU Utilization without having a high amount of requests.

--
tani

"MVP" wrote: said:
[...]

Sorry about the delay. IIS (Web Service) performance counters can tell you
how much traffic is coming to the site.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP

http://www.miradyne.net

Anh

Hi All !
I am having the same issue as Tani had.
Is possible to use application pool and limit CPU and memory? I don't know
much of application pool but seems that it can recycle worker processes if
they are not in use.

Thanks!