Wait Cursor without Ajax controls.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Mike Johnson, Jul 21, 2009.

  1. Mike Johnson

    Mike Johnson Guest

    I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but a search on the subject
    turned out zero results. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right
    direction. I was handed a project at work that requires ASP.Net and although
    I have been in this business for almost 30 years, I'm not really an
    experienced ASP.Net programmer.

    On several of the web forms there are multiple datagrids that display data
    for a selected item in another datagrid (e,g, select an invoice from one
    datagrid and all parts used for that invoice show up in the other datagrid).
    Since the main datagrid can contain 40+ pages of data, I was asked to
    include Ajax in the project to eliminate postback flickering. I have that
    done and it's working great, although I have never used Ajax before. My
    problem is that before I added Ajax to the mix, the progress bar on IE would
    show that the page is being refreshed, and with Ajax the progress bar does
    nothing because of the way Ajax refreshes the controls. I have been looking
    in several Pro series books and on-line for code that will create a wait
    cursor that will display while the page is refreshing during postback. I
    found the Ajax toolkit, with the modal form (which is something in the line
    of what I am after), but that only seems to work with 3.5. We are using VS
    2005 with .Net 2.0 and the Ajax 1.0 extensions. Does anyone know where I can
    find some information or code that will emulate a wait cursor so the users
    don't think that the site is not responding during postback?

    Mike

    Mike Johnson, Jul 21, 2009

  2. Mike Johnson

    Daniel Ulfe Guest

    Hello,

    Are you using UpdatePanel?... if so... you check the control UpdateProgress.

    Daniel.

    Daniel Ulfe, Jul 21, 2009

  3. Mike Johnson

    Mike Johnson Guest

    Thank you! Yes I am using an UpdatePanel but never having used Ajax I wasn't
    sure what all the properties and methods were. And as usual, it always turns
    out to be something super simple.

    Mike

    Mike Johnson, Jul 21, 2009
  4. Mike Johnson

    Tobias Guest

    Have you found any solution for this? I'm looking for the same thing. It's
    easy to get the UpdateProgress to show an indicator and some text somewhere

    Tobias, Jul 24, 2009