Wait Cursor without Ajax controls.

Mike Johnson

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but a search on the subject
turned out zero results. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right
direction. I was handed a project at work that requires ASP.Net and although
I have been in this business for almost 30 years, I'm not really an
experienced ASP.Net programmer.

On several of the web forms there are multiple datagrids that display data
for a selected item in another datagrid (e,g, select an invoice from one
datagrid and all parts used for that invoice show up in the other datagrid).
Since the main datagrid can contain 40+ pages of data, I was asked to
include Ajax in the project to eliminate postback flickering. I have that
done and it's working great, although I have never used Ajax before. My
problem is that before I added Ajax to the mix, the progress bar on IE would
show that the page is being refreshed, and with Ajax the progress bar does
nothing because of the way Ajax refreshes the controls. I have been looking
in several Pro series books and on-line for code that will create a wait
cursor that will display while the page is refreshing during postback. I
found the Ajax toolkit, with the modal form (which is something in the line
of what I am after), but that only seems to work with 3.5. We are using VS
2005 with .Net 2.0 and the Ajax 1.0 extensions. Does anyone know where I can
find some information or code that will emulate a wait cursor so the users
don't think that the site is not responding during postback?

Mike

Daniel Ulfe

Hello,

Are you using UpdatePanel?... if so... you check the control UpdateProgress.

Daniel.

Mike Johnson

Thank you! Yes I am using an UpdatePanel but never having used Ajax I wasn't
sure what all the properties and methods were. And as usual, it always turns
out to be something super simple.

Mike

Tobias

Have you found any solution for this? I'm looking for the same thing. It's
easy to get the UpdateProgress to show an indicator and some text somewhere