.war file and external ressources

zak.mindbender

Hello.

I have plans of moving away from a dir for my web application such as

tomcat/webapp/myapp/ (lots of jsp's)

to distributing it as a myapp.war file instead.

However, how do I handle external ressources that do not fit into the
war file such as images, sounds and user specific files? When I just
have all my jsp files and stuff in the webapps I simply had folders
such as img/ sound/ etc... I don't want to put all that into the war
file... so where can I place the images and how do I access these from
within my application/ what is the url for such ressources?

thanks
Sachias

Manish Pandit

Hi,

Are you using apache as the front-end? If yes, then all the static
content (HTML, images, sounds...) should be a part of a directory
mapped into apache. If you do not plan on using apache but serve all
this via tomcat, you will have to bundle them all in the war. The war
gets expanded when you deploy it anyway.

-cheers,
Manish