Way to get an array of latitude/longitude points (tuples) from a trip

kbperry

I am not sure if this is the right place for this, but I thought it was
worth a shot.

What I want:
Enter a From: street address and a To: street address, and then specify

an interval (say every half mile). Then, I click a submit button, and
it gives me latitude and longitude points (in order) from the beginning

of my trip to the end of my trip in 1/2 mile increments.

I can't seem to find anything to simulate this, and I am not sure how
to go about coding this either.

BTW - I have used Yahoo geocoding service (to my delight), and while it

is a good service, I don't see a way to do this unless we knew every
street address in 1/2 mile increments.

Are there any Python modules that would assist with dealing with
latitude and longitude?
Can anyone out there help?

Diez B. Roggisch

kbperry said:
I am not sure if this is the right place for this, but I thought it was
worth a shot.

What I want:
Enter a From: street address and a To: street address, and then specify

an interval (say every half mile). Then, I click a submit button, and
it gives me latitude and longitude points (in order) from the beginning

of my trip to the end of my trip in 1/2 mile increments.

I can't seem to find anything to simulate this, and I am not sure how
to go about coding this either.

BTW - I have used Yahoo geocoding service (to my delight), and while it

is a good service, I don't see a way to do this unless we knew every
street address in 1/2 mile increments.

Are there any Python modules that would assist with dealing with
latitude and longitude?
Can anyone out there help?

The problem is not the latitude/longitude. It would be trivial to
compute the great circle, thus the length of the trip between A and B
and divide it in smaller pieces to get 1-mile-distances.

But unless you own an Aircraft & are important enough to take flights
the direct route without air traffic control getting mad at you (aka:
you are George W. Bush or some other bigwig goverment guy), this won't
do you much good. What you needed would be a vectormap of the streets so
that you could do route planning. Which is expensive to get.

So I guess you are better off trying to find someone who offers that as
part of the service.

Diez
Diez

kbperry

The problem is not the latitude/longitude. It would be trivial to
compute the great circle, thus the length of the trip between A and B
and divide it in smaller pieces to get 1-mile-distances.

Yeah, I am starting to wish we drove in straight lines.
But unless you own an Aircraft & are important enough to take flights
the direct route without air traffic control getting mad at you (aka:
you are George W. Bush or some other bigwig goverment guy), this won't
do you much good. What you needed would be a vectormap of the streets so
that you could do route planning. Which is expensive to get.

It just seems odd with all of the map software out there, that this
isn't available.
So I guess you are better off trying to find someone who offers that as
part of the service.

I wonder how expensive that would be....probably way out of our price
range.