Createing a Latitude / Longitude Database ?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Mel Smith, Aug 27, 2011.

  1. Mel Smith

    Mel Smith Guest

    Hi:

    (I'm a Google Maps newbie: I have created a web page that shows the
    homes in my seniors community, and yesterday, thru javascript, was able to
    place 'markers' on various homes)

    I have approx 600 addresses in my community (Arizona, USA). The
    addresses are properly formatted for the Google Geocoder. These addresses
    are currently in my own database (xBase not SQL).

    As a _one time_ task, I wish to:

    1. Pick out the each of addresses serially from my database.
    2. Pass the address to the web site:
    http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/json?address=some+address&sensor=falso
    3. Capture the json output programmatically (I use a C-based
    language: Harbour, but can use/understand javascript in an elementary
    sense).
    4. Pick out the Latitude and Longitude from the result (e.g.,
    latlng=results[0].geometry.location)
    5. Place the result in my database in a field beside the street
    address.
    6. Start at step 1 above until finished

    Can someone help me with step 3. (Step 2 is a bit of a programming task
    too). ?

    Thank you.

    Mel Smith, Aug 27, 2011

  2. Mel Smith

    Mel Smith Guest

    Hi:

    After some puzzling and head-scratching, and programming this morning,
    I've solved my own problem, and am building my own harbour proggie that does
    the tasks above.

    I'll post my completed program solution later (if anyone wishes) -- but
    basically:

    I used my tIP librairies to vist the site, receive the response
    (i.e., the 'results' json data), then parse it to pick out the stuff I nedd
    (i.e., the lat and lng)

    Sorry to trouble you.

    Mel Smith, Aug 27, 2011

  3. Mel Smith

    Mike Duffy Guest

    You solved your own problem. That is no trouble for anyone.

    It is always interesting to see what others are doing.

    Mike Duffy, Aug 28, 2011