web.config error in cassini 2.0

yancheng.cheok

Hello all,

I have a web application, which I had developed few years ago with
ASP .NET 1.1

Today, I would like to deploy the web application to client, using
ASP .NET 2.0 + UltiDev Cassini 2.0

I locate my whole project in a folder named C:\website\GOWatch

My setting in UltiDev Cassini 2.0 is as follow :

Application = GoWatch
Port Number = 2040
Physical Path = C:\website\GOWatch

When I try to access an URL http://localhost:2040/DesktopPC/login/Login.aspx
(The login.aspx is located physically at C:\website\GOWatch\DesktopPC
\login\Login.aspx), I get the following error :

Configuration Error
configuration file required to service this request. Please review the
specific error details below and modify your configuration file
appropriately.

allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
application in IIS.

Source Error:
Line 7:
Line 8: <system.web>
Line 9: <authentication mode="Forms">
Line 10: <forms name=".ASPXUSERDEMO" loginUrl="http://
10.0.38.4/GoWatch/DesktopPC/login/login.aspx" protection="All"
timeout="5" />
Line 11: </authentication>

Source File: C:\website\GOWatch\desktoppc\login\web.config Line:
9

In my entire application, any sub folder with web.config will have the
similar error.

Please take note that, there are NO web.config in C:\website\GOWatch,
is this the root cause of the error?

Here is the content of my web.config in C:\website\GOWatch\desktoppc
\login\web.config

<configuration>
<appSettings>
<add key="ConnectionString" value="server=GOWATCHSERVER
\NetSDK; trusted_connection=true; Database=Gowatch" />
<add key="mailserver" value="GowatchServer" />
</appSettings>

<system.web>
<authentication mode="Forms">
<forms name=".ASPXUSERDEMO" loginUrl="http://10.0.38.4/GoWatch/
PocketPC/login/login.aspx" protection="All" timeout="5" />
<deviceFilters>
<filter name="supportsJavaScript" compare="Javascript"
argument="true"/>
</deviceFilters>

</system.web>

<location path="protected">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<deny users="?" />
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>
</configuration>

Help are very much appreciated! Thank you.

cheok

Juan T. Llibre

That said, the problem seems to be that the GOWatch directory is not marked as an application.

UltiDev Cassini is *not* Cassini, btw.
It's a propietary server version based on the Cassini source and owned by UltiDev LLC.

Are you using UltiDev Cassini 1.1 or UltiDev Cassini 2.0 ?

Juan T. Llibre

Here's the reply from the UltiDev Forums :

---000---
If your application is located entirely in the "DesktopPC" sub-folder, you need to register
the application with the physical location of "C:\website\GOWatch\DesktopPC".

If not, please be sure that your application root folder "C:\website\GOWatch"
contains a web.config if you want to specify root-level settings, like Authentication type.

In general, application root folder does not necessarily need to contain a web.config,
but some web.config settings seem be required to be in the root-level web.config.
---000---

Good luck...

yancheng.cheok

Thanks! I just do a quick hacking by removing all the web.config and
move them to the root folder. Anyway, this just suit to my
requirement :)