Web framework

Joe

I guess you are reffering to "Python Scripts" and "ZClasses", which
indeed are stuck in the ZODB. But in fact you can write external python
products for zope, which reside on your file system. What is stuck in
the ZODB would be the instances of those products.

Right, but it's still a pain. Incidently, this is the reason for
Zope-inspired frameworks like CherryPy, ie. Zope with ol' fashioned
dev tools.

Joe.

Lee Harr

Not wrong. I am aware of this, but it's not like that many development
tools can work through FTP or WebDav... Besides, how to have the
source code under source control if it's stuck in the ZODB?

All of the KDE tools can use ftp or webdav natively.

I actually use kate mostly and access my zope content
through webdavs (webdav over ssl).

It is true that some content is less amenable to
storage in source control, but if you create on-disk
products instead of zclasses it is less of a problem.

That said, how about a ZODB storage class that sits
on top of an svn store? That might be killer!

Carlos Ribeiro

That said, how about a ZODB storage class that sits
on top of an svn store? That might be killer!

I don't know very much about the ZODB, having using it very little.
What you say seems to be possible -- implement the ZODB 'protocol'
over a SVN backend... not sure about how things such as the
authentication system would be mapped though. But it's an intriguing
idea.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos

Benji York

Joe said:
But then, the thing I hate about Zope, is that source code is not
accessible with normal development tools since it's stuck in the ZODB.

That's not entirely true of Zope 2, and not true at all for Zope 3. All
code for Zope 3 is loaded from the file system. I've been happily
hacking away on Z3 for months using Vim, Subversion, grep, etc. Some
have even been know to use Emacs, the horror! :)

Zope 3 was designed from the ground-up to be friendlier to Python
programmers that don't have a great deal of Zope 2 experience. Being a
long-time Python programmer, I've *really* enjoyed Zope 3.

There is a slide show introduction at
http://www.zope.org/DevHome/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/ProgrammerTutorial
(http://tinyurl.com/68qwj).

There are two Zope 3 books out. A draft of one is available at
http://www.zope.org/DevHome/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/FrontPage/Zope3Book
(http://tinyurl.com/5nj66).

Also note that Z3 comes with many doctests that help developers
understand the various parts of the system.

Stephen Thorne

I'd say Nevow! For apache setup, you might be interested in my wsgi [1]
implementation.

Hi Sridhar,

Are you aware of Nevow's "integrability" with the webservers (CGIHTTPServer
in particular) that come packaged with Python itself ?

Nevow functions as its own web server. You don't need CGIHTTPServer,
you just run twisted.web instead.

Stpehen.