web scraping

Ronald Routt

I am new to programming and trying to figure out python.

I am trying to learn which tools and tutorials I need to use along with some good beginner tutorials in scraping the the web. The end result I am trying to come up with is scraping auto dealership sites for the following:

1.Name of dealership
2. State where dealership is located
3. Name of Owner, President or General Manager
4. Email address of number 3 above
5. Phone number of dealership

Note: Many times the Owner, President or General Manager and their email address is under a tab on the website such as "Meet our team" or "Support". Sometimes this information is not available on the website.

I sure would appreciate any help I can get to get me on the right track. From what I have read so far, believe I have to use urllib but know nothing about how to us it..

Thanks
(e-mail address removed)

dvghana

[...]

if you are really new to python I will suggest you go through the tutorial at www.learnpythonthehardway.org and when you are done search either google or youtube for how to use "beautiful soup" I believe you should be fine.

John Nagle

If you really want that data, and aren't just hacking, buy it.
There are data brokers that will sell it to you. D&B, FindTheCompany,
Infot, etc.

Sounds like you want to spam. Don't.

John Nagle