Web service calling a web service.

Kevin Burton

This is a strange problem.

I have some IIS backed web services. I have one machine (call it machine A)
that acts as the server and listens for these web service calls. There is
another machine (not .NET if it matters) that is a server for some web
service calls (call this machine B). I can make calls just fine into machine
A and from machine A I can make web service calls to machine B. The problem
that I am having is that sometimes the web service call (for which machine A
is the server) needs make web service calls to machine B. When the web
service calls to machine B are made as part of (or inside of) the handler for
web service calls on machine A they get a web exception
(System.Net.WebException ConnectFailure). This does not occur when I make
these calls "directly" only when a web service is calling this other web
service.

To further complicate the issue putting a proxy or port forwarding tool in
the path to the calls to machine B seems to make the problem go away.

Any ideas why my web service cannot make calls to another web service? I am
suspecting there is some kind of corporate firewall issue but I can't prove
it.

Thank you.

Kevin Burton

Jon

Try logging in to machine A as the user that can make the call to Server B
and execute:
proxycfg.exe - u

Does that work?

Kevin Burton

Thank you for your interest.

Here is the output:

G:\>proxycfg -u
Microsoft (R) WinHTTP Default Proxy Configuration Tool

Updated proxy settings
Current WinHTTP proxy settings under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections\
WinHttpSettings :

Proxy Server(s) :
ftp=internet:80;gopher=internet:80;http=internet:80;https
=internet:443
Bypass List : *.trusted.visa.com;<local>

There doesn't seem to be an error.

Kevin

Jon

Sorry Kevin, I should have explained myself more.

Web Services run under the web servers account ASP.NET (or whatever)
So if a user can login to box A and access a we service but the web service
running as ASP.NET cannot then it means they have different proxy settings.

That command was supposed to synchronize the proxy settings the user and the
system have so they are both using the same.
It wasn't for diagnosis.

Can the service on A now access the service on B?

Jon