web service question : server was unable to process request

ndrw_cheung

Hi, all. I have a webservice running on a Windows 2003 server, and
then an application on my desktop that consumes this web service. When
I tested the webservice (by going to the webservice from IE on the
same machine), the web service works. However, when I tried to step
through my code on my desktop, it gives me the following error at the
line that invokes the web service :

Server was unable to process request ---> Object reference not set to
an instance of an object.

I've searched the internet and don't seem to be able to find the
solution. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

-Andrew

nano2k

Hi, all. I have a webservice running on a Windows 2003 server, and
then an application on my desktop that consumes this web service. When
I tested the webservice (by going to the webservice from IE on the
same machine), the web service works. However, when I tried to step
through my code on my desktop, it gives me the following error at the
line that invokes the web service :

Server was unable to process request ---> Object reference not set to
an instance of an object.

I've searched the internet and don't seem to be able to find the
solution. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

-Andrew

Hi
Did you try to debug the webservice?
As I see it, the problem is not the health of your webservice.

Two possible causes:
1. Are you sure you access the *right* webservice from the
application? I mean the link you are using is exactly the same as the
one used with IE?
2. If the answer to the question 1 is YES, then you should try to
debug the first method/methods called by your application to see what
line of code generates the exception.
I recommend you to activate the exception catching in VS: CTRL+ALT+E,
select "Common Language Runtime Exceptions" then select "Break into
the debugger". This way, the exception won't fly away from you.
BTW: in webservice, put a breakpoint on the first line of each method
called by the client app.

Hope this helps.