web.xml syntax error?

Tim Slattery

I'm trying to deploy a web app from an "exploded directory" in
Weblogic 9. The app worked just fine in Weblogic 8. I'm getting this
message:

[J2EE:160177]The application at
"D:\bea9\user_projects\domains\local-idcfD\servers\idcfD1\stage\Freqs\app"
was not recognized as a valid application type. If this is an EAR
file, please ensure the META-INF/application.xml exists. EJB-JARs
should have a META-INF/ejb-jar.xml. WAR files require a
WEB-INF/web.xml, and RARs require a META-INF/ra.xml. A JMS deployment
should be an XML file whose name ends with "-jms.xml". A JDBC
deployment should be an XML file whose name ends with "-jdbc.xml". For
other application types, please consult the WebLogic Server
documentation.

That seems to tell me that it doesn't think I have a web.xml file in
the WEB-INF directory, but I do. So maybe its a syntax issue. This is
a simple app and the web.xml is short. Here it is:

<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web
Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd">
<web-app>

<display-name>Freqs</display-name>

<servlet>
<servlet-name>setup</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>gov.bls.idcf.SetupServlet</servlet-class>
<load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
</servlet>

<servlet>
<servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
<init-param>
<param-name>config</param-name>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>debug</param-name>
<param-value>2</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>detail</param-name>
<param-value>2</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>validate</param-name>
<param-value>true</param-value>
</init-param>
<load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
</servlet>

<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>action</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>*.do</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

<session-config>
<session-timeout>15</session-timeout>
</session-config>

<welcome-file-list>
<welcome-file>
env.do
</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>

<jsp-config>
<taglib>
<taglib-uri>/WEB-INF/display.tld</taglib-uri>
<taglib-location>/WEB-INF/displaytag.tld</taglib-location>
</taglib>
</jsp-config>

</web-app>

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Mike Schilling

Tim Slattery said:
I'm trying to deploy a web app from an "exploded directory" in
Weblogic 9. The app worked just fine in Weblogic 8. I'm getting this
message:

Have you tried jar-ing it up into a .war file and deploying that?