WebMatrix officially dead?

Kevin Spencer

Yes, I think it served its purpose for Microsoft!

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
What You Seek Is What You Get.

Juan T. Llibre

Being that it's Friday, let's shoot some breeze.

I find that a not-too-good explanation.

Web Matrix = 1.1 development
Express SKUs = 2.0 development

That's like saying that VS.NET 2003
would interfere with sales of VS.NET 2005.

Web Matrix will still appeal to ASP.NET 1.1 developers
( although they will soon be a dying breed ) and the Express SKUs
are *only* of interest to ASP.NET 2.0 developers.

What does bug me a bit ( and I made a case against that,
which resulted in VWD getting back the capability ) is that
all the Express SKUs ( with the, now, exception of VWD )
*must* use SSX ( SQL Server Express ) for any database work.

My point of contention is that *adding* support for SSX would have
sufficed, and that killing access to SQL Server 2000 is a mistake.

Marketing works in mysterious ways, I guess.

Scott Allen

Hi Juan:

Being that it's Friday, let's shoot some breeze.

I find that a not-too-good explanation.

Web Matrix = 1.1 development
Express SKUs = 2.0 development

That's like saying that VS.NET 2003
would interfere with sales of VS.NET 2005.

Good point - but before the Express versions were announced I would
have though it was a safe bet to say there would be a Web Matrix 2.0.
The product has seen some success, and there is an obvious market for
a tool in the lowest end of the price spectrum. I don't think there
would be enough room for two - and Express versions seem to have quite
a push behind them.
Web Matrix will still appeal to ASP.NET 1.1 developers
( although they will soon be a dying breed ) and the Express SKUs
are *only* of interest to ASP.NET 2.0 developers.

What does bug me a bit ( and I made a case against that,
which resulted in VWD getting back the capability ) is that
all the Express SKUs ( with the, now, exception of VWD )
*must* use SSX ( SQL Server Express ) for any database work.

I didn't realize that. So VWD currently does support SQL 2000? What
about OLE-DB or ODBC data sources in general?
My point of contention is that *adding* support for SSX would have
sufficed, and that killing access to SQL Server 2000 is a mistake.

Marketing works in mysterious ways, I guess.

Indeed!