webpage works in IE not in Mozilla Firefox

Discussion in 'HTML' started by gdedeugd, Jan 22, 2005.

  1. gdedeugd

    gdedeugd Guest

    gdedeugd, Jan 22, 2005

  2. gdedeugd

    Spartanicus Guest

    You are using ActiveX, a proprietary MS method, afaik Mozilla has
    limited support for it for media embedding, but that's no excuse to use
    it.

    Embedding media is something that should not be used:
    http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm#audiovideo

    You should also configure your server to send correct mime types:

    +++GET 3+++
    GET /lastElection512.wmv HTTP/1.1
    Host: www.monstrouslittlevoice.com

    +++RESP 3+++
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2634

    Spartanicus, Jan 22, 2005

  3. In the object tag use <embed> and it will work in mozilla based
    browsers. Google "Media player embed" and you will receive a ton of
    examples.

    Note this is not the "right" way to do it, but it is the way it actually
    works in the real world. So one can be anal about doing it "right" or
    one can make it work. The choice is yours..

    Travis Newbury, Jan 22, 2005
  4. gdedeugd

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Or one can do both:

    <object data="foobar.asx" type="video/x-ms-wmv" height="150" width="250">
    you don't have a plugin to handle <i>Windows Media</i> files. You might
    like to try downloading <a href="foobar.asx">my film</a> and playing it
    with your favourite stand-alone media player.</p>
    </object>

    Toby Inkster, Jan 22, 2005