webpage works in IE not in Mozilla Firefox

Spartanicus

gdedeugd said:
Hi, I'm new to html. My page works fine in Internet Explorer but in
Mozilla Firefox the windows media file does not load. Does anyone know
why this might be?
http://www.monstrouslittlevoice.com/lastelection512.htm

You are using ActiveX, a proprietary MS method, afaik Mozilla has
limited support for it for media embedding, but that's no excuse to use
it.

Embedding media is something that should not be used:
http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm#audiovideo

You should also configure your server to send correct mime types:

+++GET 3+++
GET /lastElection512.wmv HTTP/1.1
Host: www.monstrouslittlevoice.com

+++RESP 3+++
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2634

Travis Newbury

gdedeugd said:
Hi, I'm new to html. My page works fine in Internet Explorer but in
Mozilla Firefox the windows media file does not load. Does anyone know
why this might be?
http://www.monstrouslittlevoice.com/lastelection512.htm

In the object tag use <embed> and it will work in mozilla based
browsers. Google "Media player embed" and you will receive a ton of
examples.

Note this is not the "right" way to do it, but it is the way it actually
works in the real world. So one can be anal about doing it "right" or
one can make it work. The choice is yours..

Toby Inkster

Travis said:
Note this is not the "right" way to do it, but it is the way it actually
works in the real world. So one can be anal about doing it "right" or
one can make it work. The choice is yours..

Or one can do both:

<object data="foobar.asx" type="video/x-ms-wmv" height="150" width="250">
you don't have a plugin to handle <i>Windows Media</i> files. You might
like to try downloading <a href="foobar.asx">my film</a> and playing it
with your favourite stand-alone media player.</p>
</object>